DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
House has 2x10x12 joist 16"oc. I'd like to put some extra blocking around where the toilet goes.as you can see in the pic the toilet drain goes right up where a joist would go, and copper water lines run between the last joist and exterior wall. I was thinking of framing a box where the toilet goes, but would have to notch about 3" on the bottom to clear water lines if I use 2x10 to run perpendicular to the joists. It would run from wall through opening in first joist then end at the 2nd joist. There is blocking as you can see from wall to 1st joist, then another under the subfloor by the ladder that you cant see. Is this a good idea?

·
retired framer
44,268 Posts
Run a double over the foundation and use a hanger at the full double joist ana single to hold the cut joist.

Both ends and if needed another single in the middle

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like what I was thinking, and hangers sound like a good idea, although wasnt thinking of dooubling them up. Would I need to attach them to the sill plate and rim joist with hangers?

·
retired framer
44,268 Posts
That sounds like what I was thinking, and hangers sound like a good idea, although wasnt thinking of dooubling them up. Would I need to attach them to the sill plate and rim joist with hangers?
As long as they are on the sill plate by about 2" and toe nailed down.
When you are going to pick up the cut on, a double is required and hangers are required now.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
As long as your new header piece is also a 2x12, you can use a single piece. It is acceptable to hang one 2x12 on one 2x12. (If you were headering off two joists, you would use a double header, 2 hanging on 2). If you were to double anything, double the two 2x12s that are picking up the load. They will each be carrying the load of 1 1/2 2x12s. It looks like one end of the header will sit on the sill plate, so only double up the other joist picking up the load if I understand the pic correctly.
Use hangers. Toenailing or nailing through into the end grain is not sufficient. If one end sits on the sill plate and is at the right height, a hanger can be skipped. That would be supported, just toenail it or use a 90 degree corner bracket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are no 2x12, they are 2x10 12ft span, maybe I wrote that a little confusing. I think I will use double 2x10 with joist hangers and toenail into the rim joist. Thanks for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts