DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shop that we put windows in (retrofit - siding already in) and the exterior window sticks out 1 1/2"
regular thickness window casing trim boards dont seem thick enough. funny thing is, 2x6 thickness is almost perfect but I know that would look terrible. I have seen a couple videos where people glue pvc trim boards together but I am not sure what the best options are.

Building Window Shade Wood Fixture

Automotive tire Wood Window Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Traditional and usually good looking is recessed windows and casing that is more flush with siding. Yours, done is done, so use pvc or even something like trex and trim around the window. I think synthetic material will have better chance. Tape alone may not be long term. Look for 1.5" drip cap for above window, caulk where the drip cap sides butt against the side trims and you may have to smear the whole back of the top trim so as much caulk blocks rain. Then caulk the joint again. Usually trim first then siding around it which gives more chances for flashing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ended up getting 2x redwood. I wanted pvc because it offered pre-made drip caps and stuff like that...but like many things, it was hard to find the right stuff in stock, so I went with the redwood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts