DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting up 1x4 trim on the outside of the house what nail size can I use?? Think I want to use a nail gun to make it quick. I have an 18 gauge nailer that fits up to 2" nails, I googled if it would work and some say yes, other say no?? I dont want to spend a fortune on a nail gun as this is probably the only time I would use it, so I think I will probably just get something cheap from Harbor Freight.

·
remodeling pro
1,399 Posts
For exterior trim exposed to the elements, I only use 15 ga, with ss nails. Work that is protected, such as under a porch, is ok with 16 ga "galvanized".
After a couple of years in an exposed setting, these 16 ga are just about completed corroded away.

Of course I am highly anal retentive :yes:.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont want to sound totally stupid, but if I plan on caulking over them and then painting over that, does that still consider them as exposed?

·
Super Moderator
12,149 Posts
7d SS ring shank siding nails. You want a head on your siding/trim nails. Why would you calk over them?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
everything is caulked over now, i figured thats just how it was done :eek:

Sounds like I need a new nail gun then..

·
Super Moderator
12,149 Posts
everything is caulked over now, i figured thats just how it was done :eek:

Sounds like I need a new nail gun then..

I never gun nail siding trim or exposed nailed lap siding.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you know I think you talked me out of it haha! I only have to trim around 3 windows and 1 door and 6 corners, why I am being so lazy haha!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts