DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted here but I'm hoping you all can help.

I'm located in Southeast MA

I'm looking to have the corner boards of my house replaced and I got a price from a local carpenter. This price includes Versatex pvc trim for the corner boards and I asked that he use the fastening system that uses the pvs plugs. I've used them myself and like them. He will also be replacing the rotted ends of two rake boards. His quote was $1600 over the phone, I have yet to receive the breakdown.

Wondering if this was a little high, I decided to do some measuring to see exactly how much pvc trim I would need. While I was measuring. I measured the rake boards also because if I'm replacing the corner boards, why patch the rake boards?

Anyways, these are the board quantities I came up. Waste was taken into account. I found some rough prices online and am estimating the lumber to do just the corners at around $400. Say another $200-$300 in fasteners and glue leaves $900 or so in labor. Does this seem high? Especially since it didn't include the rake boards?

Prices below were found online, but are close to what I paid locally.

Corners
1"x4"x18' = 5 x $35 = $175
1"x5"x18' = 5 x $45 = $225

Rake Boards (not included in price)
1"x6"x18' = 4 x $50 = $200
1"x"2"x18' = 4 x 20 = $100

When he did the quote he said he wouldn't replace the rakes since it's only the ends that are rotted. This then turned into having him do all the corners and rake patching.

That being said, I'm capable of replacing the corner boards myself. I originally called the carpenter because I wanted all the rake boards replaced along with the rear corners. I don't feel comfortable doing the rakes on my own and figured if I'm paying someone, might as well have them do the corners.

Could anyone point me to directions that describe the best way to make a corner board out of two pieces of pvc trim? I've never done this before.

I'm guessing use glue, and possibly pocket hole screws to hold it all together? I don't want the boards splitting a year from now.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
I see no way anyone would quote prices over the phone like that.
And no way in heck can anyone quote prices over the net that would amount to anything.
Get back on the phone and qet some quotes from people that show up to look at it, not just guess.
Any reason to not use coil stock instead of PVC?
No way would I want to see a bunch of plastic plugs on the face of the material. Use trim head screws instead.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see no way anyone would quote prices over the phone like that.
And no way in heck can anyone quote prices over the net that would amount to anything.
Get back on the phone and qet some quotes from people that show up to look at it, not just guess.
Any reason to not use coil stock instead of PVC?
No way would I want to see a bunch of plastic plugs on the face of the material. Use trim head screws instead.
Sorry for the confusion. He did come to look at the work before giving the quote. I meant to say the quote was given over the phone instead of in writing.

as for the plugs, you can barely see them once they're installed. They are made from the same material as the trim. And once you paint the trim, which I will do, the totally disappear.

I see what your saying about quoting over the net. I was just looking for input from somebody that's done corner boards from pvc before.

While I've done a lot of stuff around my house myself (windows, doors, deck) I've never done the corner boards. For All I know it could 4 hours per corner to glue and screw the boards together before mounting to the house. Since I don't know the best process.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I had PVC trim installed on my house 2 years ago with the Fastenmaster Cortex system. Looks great. Much better than nails/screws and caulk. Is your contractor removing/reinstalling your gutter downspouts? Removing old corner boards. Caulking the edges? These are all things that will take time and add cost.

I resided when I replaced my trim. The contractor used a single piece corner made by Harvey Building products. They also do custom corners. Since you are in SE Mass, they will service your area.

Attachments

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
joe. the plugs the original poster is talking about are for cortex screws. their actually recommended by vinyl composite trim manufactuers. the reason being they have more holding power. too many people are installing it with 18 gauge nailers which dont hold.. the plugs are near invisible ive installed thousands of feet of azec and this is by far the best system.. in the past we were using 15 gauge pins which still require several pins to hold the trim in place

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had PVC trim installed on my house 2 years ago with the Fastenmaster Cortex system. Looks great. Much better than nails/screws and caulk. Is your contractor removing/reinstalling your gutter downspouts? Removing old corner boards. Caulking the edges? These are all things that will take time and add cost.

I resided when I replaced my trim. The contractor used a single piece corner made by Harvey Building products. They also do custom corners. Since you are in SE Mass, they will service your area.
Yes, Fasternmaster system is what I was referring to. It's great.

As for down spouts, he didn't mention it. I can ask him about it. I'm actually thinking of replacing all the gutters and downspouts myself. So he may not have to worry about that.

He is removing the old corner boards, and disposing of the old material.

For caulking, he did mention doing the corner boards when he constructs them. I'm assuming he'll caulk the other seams, but he didn't specifically say.

The contractor said he looked into one piece corners from Versatex, but said my house has an odd sized trim, so he would have to buy 6"x6" corner and then rip it to size which would create a lot of waste. He gave me a price of $2,200 to do the work with all one piece corners. Which is why I opted for the 2 piece.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts