DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been digging through the code and I can't find an answer to this question. Can my exterior stoops/stairs be made from wood?

My house is in California and I'm adding two exterior doors to the rear of my house. The house is one-story and built on a raised floor with concrete footings (no slab). I have been told that exterior stoops/stairs are required for my final inspection. The stoops would be 2-3 steps at most including the landing. Does anyone know where I can find the exact code information for my exits?

My contractor insists they have to be concrete but he has been wrong about several things so I'd like verification from the code if possible. If they can be made from wood, I'm assuming there are requirements to discourage rotting so any information about that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
12,890 Posts
I sure would think so.

A simple call to your local building department should answer your question. Call “early” and ask to speak to a inspector for a simple question. If you call early that’s your best chance to find someone at their desk and before they head out to the field.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to follow up for anyone who might care, I contacted an inspector and they told me wood is fine as long as anything within 18" of the ground is pressure treated wood. A landing is required for final inspection (so people won't fall out the door) but steps aren't specified and are up to the individual inspector. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts