DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on adding a manufactured stone veneer to an exterior wall starting just below window to the ground. How do I go about installing on exterior wood sheathing and the concrete foundation and make sure its even. The concrete foundation is set back a bit from the wood sheathing. Anybody have any suggestions

Attachments

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to flash it, lath it, and stick it. Stop the stone 3-4" above grade. Any good thin stone manufacturer will have the proper details for the above.
I've read the manufacture's instructions but what about installing the siding from the wood to the concrete foundation. You would install metal lathe on the wood sheathing but what about the concrete. How do I make sure that there is an even transition from the wood to concrete substrate?

· Concrete & Masonry
4,069 Posts
I've read the manufacture's instructions but what about installing the siding from the wood to the concrete foundation. You would install metal lathe on the wood sheathing but what about the concrete. How do I make sure that there is an even transition from the wood to concrete substrate?
If they're close, you just blend them together when you plaster it before installing the stone.

Make sure you understand how to treat the top transistion. If you're installation will rely on caulk to keep the water out, come up with a better plan........

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they're close, you just blend them together when you plaster it before installing the stone.

Make sure you understand how to treat the top transistion. If you're installation will rely on caulk to keep the water out, come up with a better plan........
I plan on flashing the top transition and then putting some kind of stone ledge that will slope down

What do you typically see as a transition from siding to stone to keep the water out?

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The concrete should be inset from the siding, so just carry the lath down over it, furring if needed.
My block foundation is about 1-1 1/4" inset from my wood sheathing. Would I be able to add enough mortar for the scratch coat to make up for the difference. My block foundation, especially in that corner is cracking and I don't feel comfortable screwing furring strips to them as they probably wouldn't hold.

Also I am contemplating taking off all the wood lath and installing stone over the wood sheathing instead of the wood lath. However the stucco at the top comes out over 1", but my stone veneer is less than 1" thick. So I am wondering how that will look if my stone will be inset from the stucco and how I go about with that transition from the stucco to stone.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The corner of my foundation is shifted out a bit you can see from the pic. Would I be able to shave off 1" or so off the face of the foundation so that my stone panels/veneer is even and flat at the corner.

Also I plan on adding concrete to the face of foundation to bring it flush with the wood exterior. What kind of concrete would I need to use to make sure it binds well with the old concrete?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.