DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small porch with a roof ~ was built years ago ~ the platform was stained back then. When you look up the wood for the roof was never painted ~ Today I went out, trying to get some things done, and started painting it with exterior Behr Paint ~ Bright white ~ as it is trimmed with white plastic boards.

I didnt know I had to prime it, so just started painting it. Someone told me I had to prime it first ~ Now WHAT do I do????????

and what have I done ? ~

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
What kind of Behr paint specifically?

You could have adhesion problems, especially if the ceiling was stained with an oil based stain previously. Worse case scenario is it falls off in sheets. If its going to do that, it will likely happen soon. Probably the first foggy morning when the ceiling gets wet with condensation.

It could very well be fine, its a ceiling and if the paint is 'stuck' to it at all it might stay there. Paint "sticking" to a surface is not the same thing as paint bonding to a surface. The right primer would have bonded instead of just stuck (if it did stick)

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
:whistling2:Behr paint is the best paint ever invented! I often use it to paint over dirt and mildew and it sticks like a champ! I can't imagine why you would be having any problems?:whistling2:

Reactions: chrisn

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Rule #1, any bare wood needs to be primed before painting.
Rule #2, no such thing as primer and paint in one for bare wood.
Any questions refer back to rule #1.
Rule # 3, always, always ask before doing if your not sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.