DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I was painting my mailbox post outside and had a bucket of Valspar season flex exterior paint left. Without thinking, I brushed it to my interior window sill board. I had a new window sill installed which is wood. After I did the first layer, I realized that I should not use exterior paint indoors.

Now I regret what I have done. Do I need to peel this layer of paint off? How harmful the mildewcide odor will affect my health in the long run. I kept the window open for 24 hours. I did not smell anything even when I am brushing it on my window sill.

Anyone had similar experience? What did you do with it?

·
retired painter
13,624 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. While the off gassing of exterior paints isn't approved for interiors that is a short lived issue and won't affect most folks. Applying an interior enamel would lock in any off gassing that hasn't already happened. Exterior paints don't dry to as a hard a film as interior paints so the stool might not wear/wash as well as an interior enamel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for all the replies! I worried to death with the five brushes paint I put on my window sill board. I even thought of getting a carpenter to remove it and build a new one. Does exterior paint nowadays still have mercury in it? Mercury were in paint many years ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know! I even thought of using heat gun to remove the paint but I guess it gives out toxic fume when this paint gets melted. I hope it will stop bothering me after a few days. I have two young kids so I tend to worry too much.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Thanks so much for all the replies! I worried to death with the five brushes paint I put on my window sill board. I even thought of getting a carpenter to remove it and build a new one. Does exterior paint nowadays still have mercury in it? Mercury were in paint many years ago.
I think you mean lead. Never any Mercury added to paints...

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
Not true. Perfume, soaps and household cleaners are one of the largest sources of VOCs behind car emissions and paints.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...mes-and-cleaning-agents-are-polluting-our-air
Please note that I said “what’s used in bath washes is not usually a VOC”. I was referring to bath washes and not bathroom cleaners.

There are plenty of VOCs in homes and newer builds as well. What is in most bath washes doesn’t remotely approach the toxicity of household clean products.

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
At least paint over the flat paint you used with something that will hold up a bit better, a semi-gloss paint for example. Flat is a dirt catcher and it will be filthy dirty in no time and you won't be able to wipe the dirt off of the flat paint.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Please note that I said “what’s used in bath washes is not usually a VOC”. I was referring to bath washes and not bathroom cleaners.

There are plenty of VOCs in homes and newer builds as well. What is in most bath washes doesn’t remotely approach the toxicity of household clean products.

VOC as nothing to to do with toxicity, its an atmospheric measurement. Lots of VOCs in body wash and prefumes in fact they are a large contributor to air pollution.

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
VOC as nothing to to do with toxicity, its an atmospheric measurement. Lots of VOCs in body wash and prefumes in fact they are a large contributor to air pollution.
I didn't say they were specifically related. I did say that there were far more injurious chemicals and an average home (whether construction materials of exogenous chemicals used) than body wash.

VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds - i.e. high vapor pressure chemicals that "boil" or off-gas at room temperature) are not ties specifically to acute toxicity, but there are certain ones that are linked to accumulated toxicity.

Which of these chemicals is a VOC is Dove body-wash?

Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, Lauric Acid, Sodium Lauroyl Glycinate, Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Stearic Acid, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Isethionate, BHT, Tetrasodium EDTA, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.

They don't indicate what the "Parfum" is in this case. That said, this type of chemical soup is what I was referring to with the "bodywash" reference and the lack of any real significant VOC contingent.

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
Lead was long removed but mercury was still used in many paints. Here is a case a boy got sick due to mercury in interior paint. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00001566.htm

Mercury was removed from interior paint in 1990. But not from exterior paint and that is why I am concerned about my window sill.

I mistook what you said for lead as well. Never really heard of the concern of Mercury in paint. Mercury in vaccinations, yes. Paint, never crossed my mind.

Why don't you just call the manufacturer of the paint and get the MSDS sheet on it?

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Lead was long removed but mercury was still used in many paints. Here is a case a boy got sick due to mercury in interior paint. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00001566.htm

Mercury was removed from interior paint in 1990. But not from exterior paint and that is why I am concerned about my window sill.

phenylmercuric acetate, it was used as a mildewicide, learn something new every day I suppose.

That said it is no longer used in exterior or interior paints since 1991
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-09/documents/mercury-compounds.pdf

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.