DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am researching exterior paint for a Historic Home (early 1900's.) I have narrowed the options down to the following below, but am still unsure as to which will withstand the frigid New England weather the best. Also, would a latex/acrylic work best, or would elastomeric or semi-elastomeric be a better option? *Please note: the building is located on a hill and takes a beating from the Southeast winds. Anticipated thanks!

Benjamin Moore: Aura, Moorgard
Sherwin Williams: Duration, Emerald, Superpaint
ICI: Dulux Diamond (semi-elastomeric)

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I think I would go in and talk to your local SW and BM stores in your area they probably deal with this situation on a regular basis. And I mean really talk to them tell them your concerns. It is their job to help you unlike the big box stores that are there just to sell you paint.

·
Rubbin walls since'79
2,518 Posts
Agree- there is more to doing a historic job than just laying on the paint too. I don't know if you are the painter or the homeowner ( or both) but the prep is SOOO important, correct primers, and then there is the presence of lead in the old coats that need to be done properly.

BTW- Mooregard is great IMO.. But talk to the locals- they know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am the owner--thank you so much for your responses. I am currently researching the cost of materials and therefore pricing it all out. Attached is a photo where you can see the lead paint just peeling right off. There will be professional remediation done. I am just comparing suggestions from professionals I have spoken to. Does anyone have experience with any of these?

·
Rubbin walls since'79
2,518 Posts
What are they telling you about how they will prep- what kind of containment, what primers . this is more important to the correct procedure and longevity of the job than your choices. All of them are good paints, and all are only as good as the prep beneath them.

Painting is a system. Each has a package that makes the end work. it is not just the finish paint.

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
What are they telling you about how they will prep- what kind of containment, what primers . this is more important to the correct procedure and longevity of the job than your choices. All of them are good paints, and all are only as good as the prep beneath them.

Painting is a system. Each has a package that makes the end work. it is not just the finish paint.

Read this again. Wait 5 minutes, then read it again:thumbsup:

Then, read this one again.

I think I would go in and talk to your local SW and BM stores in your area they probably deal with this situation on a regular basis. And I mean really talk to them tell them your concerns. It is their job to help you unlike the big box stores that are there just to sell you paint.

The answer is there:yes:

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
Sure hope your not going to try paint anything outside until it warms up some.
Dew in the morning and evening will kill a new paint job.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
In your research, have you considered linseed oil paints? How about colour....does your municipality determine which colours are suitable for older homes - or not?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
In your research, have you considered linseed oil paints? How about colour....does your municipality determine which colours are suitable for older homes - or not?
Not buying the lindseed oil paint hype anymore than paint and primer in one or one coat coverage---necessarily. There are some nice lindseed and other natural oil paints.

However an important issue is raised here if you live in an historic district or historic home land marked or ordinance protected. You may not be able to just pick any color you want.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Dew in the morning and evening will kill a new paint job.
Hugh?:laughing::no: Another Joe-ism. :eek:

I painted homes that still get buried in fog so thick morning and night so you sometimes cannot see through it. And there was dew every morning in Northern California given the moisture content of the air and the most dramatic of temp changes from day to night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.