DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking for advice on best way of replacing the Woodford 101PX on a PEX crimp I have on an exterior wall. The previous house owner left a hose on it for a long duration and house is on well water, causing the hose to be well bonded to the faucet. I was able to cut the hose off to put a insulation sock on it, but now I can't connect a new hose to it.

1) I'm assuming the way to have the best crimping force is to cut the PEX hose after the end of the 1/2" diameter fitting. My hesitation with that is the PEX tube may get too short. Potentially causing future issue. 2) The alternative I thought was to dremel the crimp off and just put a new crimp on without cutting any of the PEX tube. 3) Last is to cut behind the fitting, but to crimp on another 2-4" of PEX tubing for the faucet to go on it, but could introduce an additional leaking point.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Attachments

· Naildriver
24,765 Posts
I am gathering you cannot access this connection from inside. Removing the crimp may open problems up since you may not be able to pull the barb from within the pipe. Cutting just behind the fitting will be your best shot, but you may need to hold the pipe with needle nose vice grips to keep it from sucking back into the void.

Crimp on a new faucet, but be sure to use the nylon wedge that comes with it to help keep the faucet in a downward attitude. It helps to drain water from the pipe to prevent freezing.

· Super Moderator
8,658 Posts
Myself, I like to cut off and use fresh piece of pex pipe.

If you don't damage the pex removing the crimp it's possible to do what you said. Definitely not the preferred way though.

By the looks of the picture, it looks like you have plenty of slack to make the cut. Its just a lot easier, quicker and reliable to cut it off as close to the fitting as you can and replace it if you can. Just my opinion and thoughts.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am gathering you cannot access this connection from inside. Removing the crimp may open problems up since you may not be able to pull the barb from within the pipe. Cutting just behind the fitting will be your best shot, but you may need to hold the pipe with needle nose vice grips to keep it from sucking back into the void.

Crimp on a new faucet, but be sure to use the nylon wedge that comes with it to help keep the faucet in a downward attitude. It helps to drain water from the pipe to prevent freezing.
Inside of the exterior wall is a bedroom wall.

· Master Plumber
1,779 Posts
Don't know if you've done the work? one time for next time.. if you can secure the pipe. cut the ring off the pipe, remove the valve, since it looks like you don't have much pipe to spare don't cut the pipe at this point, get a 1/2 inch male or female by crimp adapter so you can replace the bib in the future without dealing with the pex again, crimp check for leaks if it leaks you may then have to cut the pipe back a bit,

· Registered
8,116 Posts
You have enough pipe. Pull it out and put a worm drive hose clamp around it so you don’t lose the end into the wall. Then cut it as close as you can to the barb and crimp on a new one. Remove the worm drive clamp and screw the hose bib to the house.

Reactions: rjniles

· Master General ReEngineer
10,529 Posts
The previous house owner left a hose on it for a long duration and house is on well water, causing the hose to be well bonded to the faucet.
Ayuh,..... Grind several slots in the hose coupler nut through the aluminum, but not into the brass threads, hit it with pen-oil, 'n twist it off with channel locks,.....
If it won't twist off, it'll bust up when ya try to twist it off,.....

When ya buy another hose, get one with brass connectors, 'n grease the threads, before ya twist it on,.....

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ayuh,..... Grind several slots in the hose coupler nut through the aluminum, but not into the brass threads, hit it with pen-oil, 'n twist it off with channel locks,.....
If it won't twist off, it'll bust up when ya try to twist it off,.....

When ya buy another hose, get one with brass connectors, 'n grease the threads, before ya twist it on,.....
Thanks for the tip.

I'll try grinding it with dremel and grinder slowly to see how that works. I put several different penetrating oil including Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil over night, put clamps on faucet and hose to try to twist off. But, grinding slots down on the couple may help.

· Registered
16,347 Posts
A couple of ways to free the hose connection. 1) using the heaviest hammer or grandma's sad iron or other back up as an anvil, smack the nut in a few locations around it with a second hammer. This will often break the crusty crap loose. 2) cut one groove in the nut connection, insert the largest screwdriver in the groove and twist the driver with a crescent wrench expanding the nut.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
I cut it back to new pipe. When it is crimped the barb puts grooves on the inside of the pipe. If a new barb is a different pitch it might leak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.