DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would like to know if anyone knows what type of veneer this is. It is rather thick on both sides. This is a large 40" exterior door and I'd rather not replace it.

Also if anyone has tips for best methods of repair.

I have pics as soon as I figure out how to attach

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,673 Posts
Google door skin.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was actually interested in the finding a replacement veneer section for the exterior side of the door. However, the more I look at it, the more it looks like a bonded layer of 3ply plywood. Is this common? I have no idea.
If so, is that why it's not repairable other than just bondo over.

I could go the bondo route as, ive been given the go ahead from the misses to remodel the exterior front side using trim and panels to mimic the look of a tardis (doctor who). However, i want to fix the veneer damage before proceeding.

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
It looks like a plywood door from the 50s the outer skins were 1/4" plywood That door is hardly worth the time and effort it would take.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Nealtw

Seems like you know your stuff. House was built in 1941 and it's a side patio door so may have been added after the fact in the 50s. I have no clue.

Atleast now, I'm a little better informed. Atm, a new door is not in the budget with other projects that are more pressing, so i was hoping for a reasonably inexpensive diy.

My time i can donate, but i cant adjust the budget, so i may have to bite the bullet and waste some time for the immediate cheap fix and replace it down the road.

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
@Nealtw

Seems like you know your stuff. House was built in 1941 and it's a side patio door so may have been added after the fact in the 50s. I have no clue.

Atleast now, I'm a little better informed. Atm, a new door is not in the budget with other projects that are more pressing, so i was hoping for a reasonably inexpensive diy.

My time i can donate, but i cant adjust the budget, so i may have to bite the bullet and waste some time for the immediate cheap fix and replace it down the road.
You wouldn't happen to have a router?

·
Registered
628 Posts
That is what happens when one uses an interior door on the exterior of a structure. Only thing that kept it going this long was the coverage of a porch or overhand to keep the weather from hitting it directly. The lock looks like it was installed backwards. Go to a second hand shop for housing materials and pick up a solid wood door. Install the lockset in the proper orientation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Nealtw

I do have a router.

Also, I've uploaded another pic that shows the core better after removing.

Looks like the core is solid something and the front and back veneer are actually 3mm each. Not sure if this changes the opinion of its worth or options to resolve.

https://flic.kr/p/2iswhW7

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,881 Posts
@Nealtw

Ayuh,..... Are you in the USA,..??

If so, Habitat for Humanity has resale stores all over the country with cheaper new, 'n used buildin' supplies,....

You could probably find a suitable replacement, that fits, for less than the price of the gallon of bondo it's gonna take to make it look, Nice,....

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Might also check on Craigslist (Is that USA only??)

Else, I'd fabricate a problem spot cover using [cheap] thin acrylic in a solid color - or sheet metal as was suggested earlier in thread.

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
@Nealtw

I do have a router.

Also, I've uploaded another pic that shows the core better after removing.

Looks like the core is solid something and the front and back veneer are actually 3mm each. Not sure if this changes the opinion of its worth or options to resolve.

https://flic.kr/p/2iswhW7
I would use the router set at that 3mm and router from the damage back to make straight cuts
You can make a plywood jig to clamp to the door to stop the router i straight lines
Once you have it all out cut, cut a new 3mm patch to glue in.

Attachments

·
retired painter
10,940 Posts
This is a large 40" exterior door and I'd rather not replace it
Habitat for Humanity has resale stores all over the country with cheaper new, 'n used buildin' supplies,.

40" doors aren't very common and I'd be surprised if you found a used one suitable for use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts