DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me say that I know very little about construction so take that into consideration if you reply to my question.

Our front door swings to the inside when opened so the hinges, for that door, are hidden from the outside but on our two outside back doors (they open to the outside) the hinges can be seen, and accessed, from the outside of the house. This seems to be an unwise way to hang an exterior door because someone would only have to knock out the hinge pin, on these doors, to access the interior of the house.

A couple of questions:

1. Why would a builder hang an outside door that would expose the hinges to the outside of the door?

2. What should/can I do to remedy what looks to me to be a security
problem?

I do have a home security system (cellular) and motion detectors inside of the house.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer me.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
The hinges for the back doors you have "should" have security hinges on them.
There are several styles of special hinges which can lock the pin in place so they can not be removed without first opening the door, which requires a key or access from inside the house.
Some of the special hinges require an allen key to remove the pin once the door is swung open.
If the house is recently built, contact the builder to ask them about this situation. Very likely they will have had the correct hinges installed at the factory.

·
Super Moderator
20,963 Posts
As stated above you need security hinges. There are different versions. Here are some examples of hinges and other security features.

set screw hinge

stud hinges

non removable pins

·
Registered
38 Posts
I may also add that exterior doors must swing out. In case of an emergency it saves time getting out of the house.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to thank all of you who took time to offer your advise and share your knowledge. What seemed to be a big deal turns out to be a minor fix thanks to y'all.

Hope all of you have a Merry Christmas and a great New Year.

Charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts