DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Many thanks for this forum.

My contractor cut my door too short when weather-stripping it last year. He put a sweep on it but it still doesn’t touch and the sweep subsequently split. I have about a 1 inch gap on the hinge side and a bit more on latch side.

Should I replace or repair. And if I repair, what is the best method.

Also, what is the best sweep. My house settles from time to time in this Texas black dirt. The door is out of level about ½ inch.

I did find a homemade sweep where the carpenter routered a 1/2inch notch in the bottom of the door. He folded a piece of EPDM roofing membrane and held it in place with a piece of romax clamped in place with dry wall screws. It produces a U shaped sweep that looks pretty flexable. Here it is:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/26221/stop-drafts-with-a-homemade-door-sweep

Do those here think this works or if now what is the best sweep for an old house?

Here is the door. All ideas and comments welcome. BTW – I may have a handyman execute any suggested repair.

·
Registered
37,174 Posts

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
I don't know who your Handyman is, but I would execute him instead of having him execute any more work! LOL!

There are tricks to properly cutting down a door. They include clamping a straightedge to the door, using a plywood blade, and scoring the top side to the left of the cut (assuming a right handed craftsman) with a razor knife to limit tear out. Looks like whoever did yours did not know the tricks.

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
if you add a piece onto it i wouldnt use tightbond. use epoxy to ensure the glue joint doesnt fail over time do to being exposed to the elements.. such a thin strip is more likely to pull away anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am not adverse to replacing the threshold. I bought and stained the threshold for him to put down. I also instructed I wanted it screwed rather than nailed. I didn't tell him to notch it like that.

I am going to also replace the jamb. Or have it replaced. So I can do it all at one time.

However, I like the look of the stained wood threshold much better then metal and I am always afraid the vynyl strip will come loose from the adjustable ones. You think the adjustable threshold preforms better than a sweep? I will make the switch to adjustable metal if necessary.

I did the front door jamb and replaced it with one wide plank that is the jamb for both the storm door and front door. Storm door seals tight even though front door leaks like a sieve.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't know who your Handyman is, but I would execute him instead of having him execute any more work! LOL!

There are tricks to properly cutting down a door. They include clamping a straightedge to the door, using a plywood blade, and scoring the top side to the left of the cut (assuming a right handed craftsman) with a razor knife to limit tear out. Looks like whoever did yours did not know the tricks.
He sure didn't. The last time I had a project I came here for advice and then speced it to the contractor. That worked better. This time I might get a handyman who works locally to help on the weekend. I can pay him by the hour as a helper. I have all the tools. Or I might get another contractor whose work is much better and pay the premium. Either way...

This is all good advice - many thanks.

·
Registered
37,174 Posts
If the plan is to also replace the jambs, the door is cut wrong and it's leaking why not just install a new behung fiberglass door with an adjustable sill?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the plan is to also replace the jambs, the door is cut wrong and it's leaking why not just install a new behung fiberglass door with an adjustable sill?
One complication is that I have two back doors and two front doors. I did a quick look at lowes and while I found a composite pre hung door that was similar they were enough different that I would have to replace both back doors.

Maybe I should. I have to hire a contractor to do that though. I can replace the jams easy enough. And a newly restained threshold or metal adjustable one.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Your front door screams home invasion. Not to scare you but I would replace that whole door with a pre-hung fiberglass, with a dead bolt lock. That sends a clear message not to enter your home. We are not talking about people with fully functional brains here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts