DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the interior of my 1972 construction home converted from aluminum to copper so now need to do the exterior elevated deck lights. These are light posts at the corners, underside of deck is exposed/accessible so the wire is at risk of physical damage. Seeking assistance with the proper wire set up to be used outside the house on the underside of the deck to feed into the light posts. Again this is a 120v system not low voltage. Thank you in advance for your assistance!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In this case I have inspected the existing wire and there are spots that the plastic sheathing has deteriorated exposing the wires. The property is located in Wyoming where we set extreme cold and half the desk some of the wires are exposed to direct sun at over 7K of elevation (i.e. these lines have taken a beating).

Thank you for your question and thoughts on this project!

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,127 Posts
It looks to me the wrong cable was used. That looks like NM (Romex). In that application it should have been UF. NM is not approved for an exterior wet location.

Reactions: mcshane39
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.