DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas Electrical wiring Concrete Circle Electrical supply

I hired a crew to add hardie siding to my house. The trim they installed over the 4 inch round lighting boxes extends out 1 3/8 inch from the face of the boxes. Most of the trim pieces are misaligned by 1/2 to 1 inch, some are covering up a fixture mounting screw tab.

This is under nec 2020. Is there a code compliant way for me to extend these misaligned round boxes 1 3/8 inch or will the boxes need to be removed and replaced flush to the face of trim?

·
Naildriver
18,660 Posts
You mean they couldn't see this error as they applied their trim????? Shorten the block to where it matches the hole and lengthen the piece above it. Not sure what the rest of the trim will look like, but they should have noticed it and either stopped work or adjusted things to make it happen right.

Reactions: Domo

·
Super Moderator
17,331 Posts
Once the hole is aligned with the box a box extension like an Arlington BE1R can be used to cover the depth difference.

Reactions: Zipperje

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once the hole is aligned with the box a box extension like an Arlington BE1R can be used to cover the depth difference.
Thanks for answering my question.

And to the guys who got so excited by the bad trim work by this crew. Second guessing how to deal with the siding crew?...not helpful. Even if the hole was perfectly aligned I would still need an extension ring, which is what I asked. I get that you have high standards, I do too. I invite you to try to understand what its like out there for DIYers, at least in my area (Seattle). There's no way my tired 65 year old back was going to do this Hardie siding myself, it weighs a ton. The good carpenters are all booked up, they don't want to work on a little doink siding project like mine because there are so many mega million projects out there. The crew I found was working down the street, they started when I was out of town and I did not want to delay their start because I would have lost them if I did. Not a word of English was spoken or understood by the carpenters (Russian crew), only the owner could understand anything more than sign language. These guys seemed like good guys, they worked hard, but things like this mis aligned fixture are not surprising to me, I was not there to look over their shoulders. Yes it would have been great if I was there looking over their shoulders on every piece of trim. I can deal with making it right but needed to understand what type of extension ring is needed.

·
Naildriver
18,660 Posts
AS Jim stated, Arlington makes extension rings that you can use, but no need to defend the trim guys. You can't use an extension ring until the siding is corrected. Having one in place in the first place would have solved the problem out of the gate.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AS Jim stated, Arlington makes extension rings that you can use, but no need to defend the trim guys. You can't use an extension ring until the siding is corrected. Having one in place in the first place would have solved the problem out of the gate.
Understood, thanks. Not defending anybody just got p.o.d enough to push back at you and your sidekick for latching right onto coulda shoulda about the crappy trim fit instead of answering the question. Nothing I can do about it now except fix the problem. The good news is the old lights were not aligned horizontally and the new trim plates are.

I'm sorry I pushed back but its been a long day and I sort of snapped off there. FYI the old round boxes were flush with the face of fifty year old T-111 siding/sheathing which is now the sheathing. I plan to pull off the old 4-inch round box, use my 4 inch core and drill straight through from outside and then install a new 4-inch round box from the inside and extension ring. House is still down to the studs so it is all accessible from inside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts