DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have electrical wires protruding from the side of my brick house. It was previously connected to an outdoor light that sat atop a low brick garden wall. I had the wall removed but then had about six feet of wire coming from my house to a light I no longer needed. I cut the wire to about 18 inches from the house then wrapped the end in electrical tape and buried it in the ground about three inches.

Is this a total hazard and breaking all kinds of code? Both electrical and common sense ones?

What is the proper solution that isn't a safety hazard? I thought about maybe "installing" a weatherproof outdoor outlet box that this wire could connect to. Or is there a proper way to cap off this now unused wire if a box is out of the question?

·
Super Moderator
9,084 Posts
Install the box and put wire nuts on the end of the wire.
We won't go into your current solution!:whistling2:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
the solution I would use:

find out where its terminated inside the house.
shut off that breaker.
verify again no voltage going to that junction box.
remove termination inside the house ( probably wire nutted inside a junction box)
seal junction box back up ( put cover back on and screw down)
remove wire inside house ( cut next to wall going outside )
go outside and pull wire all the way out and remove and throw away all wire.
turn breaker back on and verify all is well.

-seal hole in wall to keep vermin out.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I have electrical wires protruding from the side of my brick house. It was previously connected to an outdoor light that sat atop a low brick garden wall. I had the wall removed but then had about six feet of wire coming from my house to a light I no longer needed. I cut the wire to about 18 inches from the house then wrapped the end in electrical tape and buried it in the ground about three inches.

Is this a total hazard and breaking all kinds of code? Both electrical and common sense ones?

What is the proper solution that isn't a safety hazard? I thought about maybe "installing" a weatherproof outdoor outlet box that this wire could connect to. Or is there a proper way to cap off this now unused wire if a box is out of the question?
Only if you are 100% sure that the supply end of the cable is
completely disconnectted !
And the end of the cable clearly labelled,
so no one is tempted to hook it up again
not knowing where it goes.

As for code issue's it's probably a grey area !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts