DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so I apologize ahead of time if this question has been posted in the past. I am a first time home buyer in Atlanta Georgia and I close on my newly built townhome later this month. However, I have a serious concern about a piece of exposed rebar in the wall of my garage. The contractors apparently painted over it as if this is the final product.

I want to know if I should be concerned, is this a serious structural issue or just something cosmetic.

Will this cause issues months or years later?

The exposed rebar is located in the shared wall of our neighbor and it is towards the bottom of the wall, if that matters.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
Now that's just stupid to have done that!!

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
It is hack style work but probably nothing you should worry about.

That said I would make them fix it on general principal.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
It is hack style work but probably nothing you should worry about.

That said I would make them fix it on general principal.
I agree and that is china rebar if it makes a difference to you.Hope that does not show towards how the rest of the place is built.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
send me a pm = if its not too far, i'll look @ it w/you - intown atl OR metro ? dallas to snellville & cumming to forest park is our usual svce area

·
Super Moderator
14,478 Posts
You might want to check that, it might possibly be a wire shield instead of rebar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This might be the connection for a concrete encased electrode for the electrical service. If that is the case, then the connection needs to be exposed and accessible for inspection. There would be a grounding electrode conductor attached to it some place. Otherwise, that is a crappy installation.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
This might be the connection for a concrete encased electrode for the electrical service. If that is the case, then the connection needs to be exposed and accessible for inspection. There would be a grounding electrode conductor attached to it some place. Otherwise, that is a crappy installation.
That's exactly why I asked if that was a drywall or concrete wall. If it's drywall then it's likely the CEE and the ground is attached (but hidden by the drywall.) But OP has posted and disappeared without respondng.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts