DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started a rather large remodel on a re purposed brick church. the basement is deep under ground and only the top 2 ft of the 12 ft high walls are above ground. I have exposed the brick on the interior of the foundation walls, which was covered by an inch of plaster. I would love to clean up the grout lines and leave it exposed if possible. Im in Nebraska, which has below freezing winters.

since it is so far under ground, do I need to worry about insulation issues?

would a sealer or clear coating of any kind help with moisture?

Im sold on the look, but structural integrity is king for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
I'm not sure that I understand you completely. You are working on the interior walls. Most of the brick is covered w/ a coat of plaster. What do you mean by you "exposed" it? Do you mean that you removed the plaster? Is water entering the cellar or do you mean that it's just damp? Can you post some pics? Try to give us as much detail as possible.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
2' below grade, your ambient earth temp's still about the same there as it is here in ga - 65f,,, let that be your guide & remember cold runs to hot + cold drops & heat rises,,, how that affects your issue is you only need to raise the temp 8 degrees to be comfortable 'cept for the 2' exposed portion

1 - 4 of 4 Posts