DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have some rot under the window and on the thin piece of wood above the board that has the peeling paint. That thin board is basically loose and rotten, apparently the drain hose fell off the window ac last summer and water was running down there most of the season. I am looking for the most simplistic method here. Thanks!
579F61B1-8E95-43E4-B9AE-9F741AFC94C7.jpeg

·
retired framer
47,135 Posts
Use an awl, ice pick or sharp screwdriver and poke at all the wood there. you will quickly feel what is solid and what is not.

·
Premium Member
7,685 Posts
The simplest thing to do is to pop off that rotted piece and install a new piece. Patching damage like that is just a temporary band-aid.

Reactions: Andreay

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How would you reattach that ledge board? What kind of wood I get for this. Sorry I don’t know much about this but determined to do it on my own.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can’t exactly tell what size board you got there but pull it off with a hammer and pry bar and get the same size dimensional lumber, get pressure treated for outdoor but note you can’t paint or seal pressure treated for a year, but it will last longer.

Looks like there’s a vertical support or board behind the rotted piece where it’s screwed in on the end under the window. You can just repeat if there’s nothing rotted behind it, but you may have to replace a bit more than expected once you get into it. I’d use deck screws and if you have access to an air compressor, some finish nails through the ledger to the top of your fresh board. When you install, make sure to leave a little space from the bottom to the ground or it will rot from the moisture in the ground.

It looks like the ledger is also the sill for that window? If so, you might want to replace that as well. If you really want to paint or stain it right away, you can use untreated wood but all sides must be primed or sealed before installing.

I’m no expert but that’s how I would do it.

·
Registered
37,339 Posts
That wood never should have been that close to grade!
I'd remove and replace with PVC lumber and never have to deal with it again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the house was built in the 1940s and basically a window ac unit dripping on it all season was the root of the problem. I picked apart and scraped things this morning, one board basically came clean out and after cleaning it up some and scraping some I think I may let ot dry a few days and go the wood hardener and epoxy filler route as once you get behind a lot of the peeling paint the rot is perhaps somewhat localized. I have a bottle of PC woody wood hardener and then maybe I’ll pick up some filler but gotta let things air out for several days to dry. I’m no carpenter maybe this buys me another couple years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the house was built in the 1940s and basically a window ac unit dripping on it all season was the root of the problem. I picked apart and scraped things this morning, one board basically came clean out and after cleaning it up some and scraping some I think I may let ot dry a few days and go the wood hardener and epoxy filler route as once you get behind a lot of the peeling paint the rot is perhaps somewhat localized. I have a bottle of PC woody wood hardener and then maybe I’ll pick up some filler but gotta let things air out for several days to dry. I’m no carpenter maybe this buys me another couple years.
Just want to add that everyone on this board told you to replace the damaged board, and your solution is "I'll just slop some epoxy on there".

Trust us, replace the entire board. You may need to remove the window, its really not that hard. These things are not complicated, its like lego, but easier because you dont have to line up the knobs, you just nail the **** together.

·
retired framer
47,135 Posts
How would you reattach that ledge board? What kind of wood I get for this. Sorry I don’t know much about this but determined to do it on my own.
Have you poked at it so you know what is good and what it soft and rotten.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts