DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father, who passed away some years ago, installed vinyl soffit (12" wide, 3 sections of 4") on his porch ceiling. But he added 2 visible surface screws between the 4" sections of the vinyl. My guess is he thought it would sag otherwise (probably there was insulation above). My mom can't remember why.

Would it really sag if you use > .039 thickness when installed overhead properly on a flat surface?

I'm ready to order and wanted to choose beadboard, but if there's any chance it will sag I'll choose the plain and do it like he did. It doesn't really look that bad.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
My father, who passed away some years ago, installed vinyl soffit (12" wide, 3 sections of 4") on his porch ceiling. But he added 2 visible surface screws between the 4" sections of the vinyl. My guess is he thought it would sag otherwise (probably there was insulation above). My mom can't remember why.

Would it really sag if you use > .039 thickness when installed overhead properly on a flat surface?

I'm ready to order and wanted to choose beadboard, but if there's any chance it will sag I'll choose the plain and do it like he did. It doesn't really look that bad.
It won't sag if there is adequate framing above to nail to. Whether it's vinyl or beadboard. If you're using 3/4" beadboard, you can have the framing 24" apart. Otherwise 16" would be the widest for either vinyl or 1/4" beadboard.

Reactions: nil4664

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. I should have said beaded (pattern) vinyl soffit, not beadboard. But I understand what you're saying. If it won't sag 16" lengthwise, then it shouldn't sag 12" sideways.:) Thank you.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
OK. I should have said beaded (pattern) vinyl soffit, not beadboard. But I understand what you're saying. If it won't sag 16" lengthwise, then it shouldn't sag 12" sideways.:) Thank you.

no thats not true,it is strongest lengthwise the direction the grooves are going

the beaded soffit panels are narrower-more nails less sag

your Dad sounded like a smart man:wink:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom, the more I think about what you said, I just know that 12" stuff will sag eventually. Searched for narrower (8") soffit, and it appears the companies producing those only sell to contractors. I better go with the plain (unbeaded) soffit. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts