DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Had my plumber install my electric hot water heater. He installed it on the hot water line. From what I am reading online, most do it on the cold line but it doesn't really matter too much. Pros of the cold line are that it will have a longer lifespan.

Is this correct? Any issues with how it's installed?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Naildriver
12,844 Posts
The expansion tank should be on the cold water line. That was an expensive installation with all the shark bite fittings at $8 each. I would have used PEX fittings.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,901 Posts
The expansion tank should be on the cold water line. That was an expensive installation with all the shark bite fittings at $8 each. I would have used PEX fittings.
I seriously doubt a licensed plumber did that install.

Reactions: chandler48

·
Naildriver
12,844 Posts
The issue is the expansion tank should have been installed on the cold water side, and very few real plumbers use shark bite fittings. 6 fittings at over $8 each versus 6 PEX fittings at probably $1 each. Other than that, none.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got yea. I had him move it to the cold side. And I had the shark bite fittings laying around so that is why they were used.

·
Peace be with you
933 Posts
can I ask what the issue is? Yes he is a plumber.
because the thermal expansion flows/occurs toward the colder side...

An expansion tank can go on hot side when circulation system is involved & check valve prevent expansion & or proper install on cold side, causing all expansion to occur on hot side.

Peace

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
An expansion tank will protect the water heater when located anywhere in the water system with no closed valve or check valve between it and the interior of the water heater tank.

The expansion tank on a hot water line had the disadvantage that the air cushion within, if compressed during a water heater heating cycle, will depressurize and expel water towards an open hot faucet before hot water arrives at that faucet. This results in more wasted time and water waiting for hot water to arrive.

The expansion tank is positioned above the water heater so it can be easily seen to exist and not be capable of being valved off from the heater.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts