DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a job with a jackhammer, to demolish a large concrete deck, and it's just too damn hot out this year to do that by hand. I looked at the mini excavators but they are very expensive to rent.

Then I started thinking, in mines they sometimes use a special agent where you drill a hole, put the stuff in, add water, and it expands, cracking the rock. I'm sure it would work for cement.

Anyone know anything about this kind of stuff and where I could get it? The nice thing with this is I could use my own hammer drill to make the holes and do it spur of the moment one there's a day it's not too hot out.

Just wondering if this stuff is something a DIY can actually buy and if it would be affective. I'd use this in conjunction with a sledge hammer and metal cut off wheel for the rebar.

·
Super Moderator
14,478 Posts
Good gravy, if you are going to drill that many holes just get two or three hydraulic jacks, jack the edge of the slab up and pop it a few times with a sledge hammer, it will crack.

·
Framing Contractor
1,512 Posts
We worked on a home recently where the excavator encountered a lot of huge rocks. Started with a jack hammer on the track hoe, and eventually they finished using the silent explosives. I was not impressed with the product. They drilled a ton of holes, injected the stuff, then came back the next day and still had to use jack hammers.

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good gravy, if you are going to drill that many holes just get two or three hydraulic jacks, jack the edge of the slab up and pop it a few times with a sledge hammer, it will crack.
The thing with the jack hammer (your way would not work with my slab because it's secured to the house) is I have to rent it, and do it all that day or at least in a few consecutive days (don't get those often) or it gets expensive, if I drill holes I can just drill them at my own leisure when it's not as hot out, or even at night (though it might be kinda loud).

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amazon.ca does not have it but guess I can still order from the .com, I'll just have to pay the border taxes. I'll have to ensure I order the right amount and make it worthwhile. Border taxes are usually about 100-200 bucks.

I will drill the holes first though, just to see how much of a job that is. My bit always slips in the drill chuck making it harder, I need to figure out a solution for that. I'm wondering if I should buy a bigger drill, like a 1 inch chuck instead of 3/4.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
If you get some, be sure to post your results.
And if you can't, have a next of kin post for you.
I see no down side to this plan. None what so ever.:no:

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Amazon.ca does not have it but guess I can still order from the .com, I'll just have to pay the border taxes. I'll have to ensure I order the right amount and make it worthwhile. Border taxes are usually about 100-200 bucks.

I will drill the holes first though, just to see how much of a job that is. My bit always slips in the drill chuck making it harder, I need to figure out a solution for that. I'm wondering if I should buy a bigger drill, like a 1 inch chuck instead of 3/4.
Hammer drill might help? Do you have tool rental place? Ask them. Strikes me you might be better off renting something you might not use often again?

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The drill I have is a hammer drill already which I've used a lot for concrete/cinder block/brick, so I'm planing on using that, I may just need to find a better bit, one that has more of a groove in it or something so it does not slip.

Think I'll go ahead with this and post results. Will probably end up doing it near the end of summer or if I run across some Saturdays that arn't too hot.

I'm even debating on just waiting till winter, shovel the snow off, and stick with the jackhammer. Could do it during my Christmas vacation or something. At least the job would be less hard when it's cold out as I would not be sweating like crazy. The deck just needs to be out by next year when I get the weeping tiles redone.

·
Super Moderator
14,478 Posts
If you plan to wait til winter, drill your holes, fill with water and let the winter cold freeze the water and burst the concrete.

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, I'll check those out, might save myself from paying hefty border taxes. Think tomorrow I'll start drilling holes just to see how well that goes, before I order the stuff. I'm also debating on buying a bigger heavy duty drill, like one with a 1 inch chuck. The jackhammer bobcat rental would have been like 300 bucks for one day, I can pay 300-500 bucks for a heavy duty drill and it's mine for good and I'll find plenty of uses for it around the house.

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you plan to wait til winter, drill your holes, fill with water and let the winter cold freeze the water and burst the concrete.
I was thinking this too, think it would actually work? I could wait till February-March when we get -40's and go fill them with water and cap the tops with snow.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts