DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I have been referencing this site for a long time now, and finally I have a question I can’t seem to find a correct answer for.

I am about to install a subfloor in my basement, aprox 1250 sq ft. The concrete floor is below ground and has 6mil poly vapor barrier installed under the concrete slab (so it is has a vapor barrier on underside of the basement concrete).

The simple question I have is…can rigid expanded polystyrene (usually white in color) be used without the added support of sleepers when installing ¾” t/g OSB over top?

I see a lot of references to expanded polystyrene used as insulation for subfloors, but most of the time sleepers are also used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just so you all know, there will be no ceramic tile or hardwood. It will be carpet and laminated flooring being installed over the OSB.

Cheers

·
Dorf dude...
1,844 Posts
In the past I laid a floor like you want. I glued all the seams, worked fine. I would lean towards hard foam though. less chance of collapse under pressure. dorf dude...

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
EXPANDED polystyrene (EPS) is usually white, is very light and is best used for things like coffee cups and meat trays at Walmart. It's insulation value per inch is low and it is much weker.

In normal construction, EXTRUDED polystyrene (XPS) is used. It is usually colored (blue, pink, yellow, etc.) depending on the manufacturer, but could possibly be white. It is heavier, more rigid and is a much better insulator. It is alsomuch stronger.

Dick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Delta FL

Anybody putting landscaper's cloth underneath for sweaks,clicks,etc. per Delta FL install instructions? Also has anyone framed sleepers/joists and subfloor on top of the Delta? I posted back in May, got no responses. I have a basement floor sloped 3" over 15 ft. Want to frame a subfloor in the low part of the room. Any advice? Thanks

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Anybody putting landscaper's cloth underneath for sweaks,clicks,etc. per Delta FL install instructions? Also has anyone framed sleepers/joists and subfloor on top of the Delta? I posted back in May, got no responses. I have a basement floor sloped 3" over 15 ft. Want to frame a subfloor in the low part of the room. Any advice? Thanks
i think the intention of using Delta subfloor was to avoid framing. If you have to frame it, why use Delta!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm using the delta for vapor control and in most of the basement as the only subfloor. I'm only framing a subfloor in the middle of the room where the floor is sloped drastically. Trying to acheive a level floor throughout. It means i'll have to rip the 2x4s at an angle to accomodate the slope of the floor and somehow transition the framed subfloor into the area where i have the delta and 1/2 or 3/4" plywood. hard to describe - am i making any sense? Any ideas on how to do the transition? Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts