DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed insulating the ceilings after My roof was removed by a big blow. I used r-38 12 inch batts-faced.I have noticed a large amount of cond. on the bottom surface of roof(metal) and on the top plates -puddles. The 12 inch inslu.is compacted toward the eves.What I would like to know is when I drywall and seal the joints,will this reduce the amount of cond. I plan to re-roof in the spring . Would I be better off removing the inslu,trimming it down to a thinner thickness:no:.I am better at answering than asking. Any advise will be greatly appreciated:huh:

·
Retired Moderator
25,728 Posts
Air must be able to reach the roof through the soffits--and leave the attic through the roof vents.

Do you have soffit vents--and plenty of them?

Can the air flow into the attic or did you block the vents with the insulation?

If so---look for 'insulation baffles' --Plastic things the hold the insulation back so the vents can breath.

Not having the drywall up will allow a lot of extra moisture into the cold attic---so some condensation will occur until that is done----hang some fans up there---and lay plastic over the top of the insulation until you get that buttoned up--

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. The roof I am dealing with is on a mobile home. There are no soffits as the trusses end flush with the outside of the wall.There is one "pot" vent on one end and a gable-end vent,the section is about 40ft.I am hopefull that installing the lids will end the cond.problem.The baffels I installed were supposed to provide space between insul. and roof (steel).Is it a Big problem if they touch? I know that compacting the Inslu.will decrease its R value,but it is better the the 2inches that was in there.Again, Thank You for Your help:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts