DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what my options are for getting power to a different location to charge an electric car. At this point I do not have the car or a 240 volt level 2 EVSE :).

There are 2 separate existing 240 volt circuits within 20 to 30 feet of where the car would be charged.

Option #1 - 50 amp 240 volt RV mounted to the side of the house. If I didn't have too many cars in the driveway this one could be used regularly. As it is, the parking spot would be 20-25 feet from the charge port on the car.

Option #2 - there is a dryer outlet inside the house at the back of the garage. Not inside the garage but inside the house. This washer dryer hookup is not used, there is a second hookup in the basement which is what we use. The 2 hookups are all separate circuits, meaning this particular outlet has it's own double pole breaker at the panel and it is the only thing on the circuit.

EVSE's are available in either hardwired form or plug in types. Amperage is not of any particular concern here. The charger in the car handles a max of 3.3 Kw so the EVSE would be chosen to be no more than 20 amps max (more likely 14 or 16) which is within the capability of either circuit.

I know it is valid to have more than 1 outlet on a 240V branch circuit. If I choose a hardwired EVSE does that eliminate the use of these circuits if I want to leave the outlets in place? Does the fact that the dryer outlet is intended for an appliance eliminate the possibility of extending that branch to the garage for a plug in EVSE installation?

Attachments

·
Anaheim, CA
13 Posts
Quick charge Power makes up custom cables. The longest stock is 24 feet but using the 40A cable at 30A you can use much longer.

If you have an existing EVSE then you can sell your old cable on eBay usually for around $100.

When I had a Nissan Leaf a 24 foot cable allowed me to park straight in. Now with my Mercedes B Class EV I could use a 15 foot cable. It really depends on where the charge port location is.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Dryers call for a dedicated circuit. Your EVSE is almost certainly going to call for a dedicated circuit. So i would give p the idea of mulitple receptacles on the same circuit.

By removing the unused dryer receplacle, it is possible to repurpose the dryer circuit as the ESVE circuit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dryers call for a dedicated circuit. Your EVSE is almost certainly going to call for a dedicated circuit. So i would give p the idea of mulitple receptacles on the same circuit.

By removing the unused dryer receplacle, it is possible to repurpose the dryer circuit as the ESVE circuit.
Being only slightly argumentative :wink2:

If a dryer was installed at that location it would be a dryer circuit. If there is no dryer is it still a dryer circuit?

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
If a dryer was installed at that location it would be a dryer circuit. If there is no dryer is it still a dryer circuit?
Assuming that the EVSE manufacturer calls for a dedicated circuit (never seen a level II EVSE that didn't), the 240v receptacle inside the house (no matter what you call it) would be a code violation.

As far as it being a still a dryer circuit or not, if it is a 3 or 4 wire 30 amp receptacle (NEMA 10-30r or14-30r) installed anywhere in the vicinity of a washing machine hookup, yes it would be a dryer circuit with or without machines being present.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Disconnect the line for the old dryer circuit at the breaker. Cap ends on both sides with wire nuts, put a blank cover over old box. Run proper wire to desired location with the proper protection. Wire the charger up.

No need to over complicate this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.