DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we just bought a 1955 brick house on a crawl space foundation. We've only lived here 2 weeks and it's rained twice and both times the whole house stinks like sewer. The house had been completely remodeled with new plumbing, electrical, new roof, windows, floor etc, and pretty much everything is brand new except the brinks and mortar.

The septic tank was also dug up and inspected and supposedly everything was empty and in good working order. The smells goes away a few hours after the rain stops but during it is unbearable and stinky.

I've also noticed a very faint small of sewer after I take a shower but it is very mild and goes away quickly.

Anyone help on what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
You need to get a plumber in there--or plan on reading up on plumbing and spending a lot of time investigating.

You may have a combination of problems---a cracked or open vent pipe--and ,perhaps, a low or partially clogged roof vent arm.

Your plumber might suggest a 'smoke test'----the vent system is filled with smoke--and a tester is used to find traces that escape the piping.

One common cause ? A dry P-trap in a floor drain---but you have a crawl space---
Another--a sewage pit that is not properly sealed--and vent gasses are getting sucked into the house---

Have you isolated the location at all? Crawl space? Bathroom? Attic?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,061 Posts
It is probably expensive, but there is a tool used by professional plumbers that is a camera on a snake that they can run into your sewer system and photograph every inch of the pipes.

that way you can see exactly what is wrong and either fix it yourself, of pay the piper. (pun intended).

ED

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@oh'mike
Thanks for the info, I have not isolated the location yet, the house is small 1500 sq ft, so it stinks up the entire house. I do believe it most strong in one of the bathrooms, but I really can't tell. Next time it rains I will try to find out where it is strongest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@oh'mike
Thanks for the info, I have not isolated the location yet, the house is small 1500 sq ft, so it stinks up the entire house. I do believe it most strong in one of the bathrooms, but I really can't tell. Next time it rains I will try to find out where it is strongest.

You need to get a plumber in there--or plan on reading up on plumbing and spending a lot of time investigating.

You may have a combination of problems---a cracked or open vent pipe--and ,perhaps, a low or partially clogged roof vent arm.

Your plumber might suggest a 'smoke test'----the vent system is filled with smoke--and a tester is used to find traces that escape the piping.

One common cause ? A dry P-trap in a floor drain---but you have a crawl space---
Another--a sewage pit that is not properly sealed--and vent gasses are getting sucked into the house---

Have you isolated the location at all? Crawl space? Bathroom? Attic?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
The most common stink comes from a bad wax ring on a toilet---look at the bottom of the flooring(go into the crawl space) --see if you see signs of water staining around the toilet drain pipe--

·
Master Plumber
1,615 Posts
As suggested a smoke test will get to the bottom of the source if its a plumbing drain or vent pipe issue, if its not then you'll most likely have to deal with it due to several factors type of drain field (age) location of the tank and field and the water tables under the field, total amount of daily sunlight over the field etc. if its a problem with the final disposal system then you may want to consider an aerobic treatment system. $$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Since it only happens when it rains or when you shower and then goes away quickly it doesn't seem like a dry trap, seems more like you might have sewer gas bubbling through a trap. So my hunch is your vent stack is blocked. When it rains you get water entering your septic field which is causing back pressure of sewer gas. Since vent is blocked the only place it has to go is bubbling through the traps. When you shower this could be happening also but to a lesser extent because it's less water volume.

Can you go up on your roof and check to see if anything obvious is blocking your vent pipe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts