DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People,

No, not a huge 20' door for a 2 car garage, but a one car width. I believe its about 9' wide. Everywhere I look , even home depot, they want to sell me the installation. I dont want to have it installed. Just thought I would ask around before searching more.....

Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
They are not that difficult to do. What do you need to know?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I did mine, the door manufacturer will have a downloadable pdf on their website.

Pay particular attention to the orientation of the cable drums and the tensioning springs.

On my door these items were color coded, seems like red was left, and black was right.

Ask me how important it is to have these items placed correctly.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I've done a number of them - "torsion" springs and "extension" springs.
For a "DIY" person - it should probably, be an "extension" spring system.
Easier and a little safer to deal with.
We've purchased them from local door companies, Home D. and Menards.
Read the instructions - carefully!

rossfingal

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've done a number of them - "torsion" springs and "extension" springs.
For a "DIY" person - it should probably, be an "extension" spring system.
Easier and a little safer to deal with.
We've purchased them from local door companies, Home D. and Menards.
Read the instructions - carefully!

rossfingal
Thanks for the clarification.

You are absolutely correct, the risk of injury should always be taken into consideration.

I apologize for my lack of thoughtfulness.

Some door companies will not sell the "torsion" springs over the counter.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
The first garage doors I installed (a long time ago) were "torsion" springs.
No problem.
However, over time, I acquired friends that did garage door installs/repairs for
years.
Sitting with them, in a local "watering-hole" and hearing "horror stories" - concerning the amount of force that "torsion" springs have - and what can result (I love trips to the Emergency Ward! - don't you?).
If we run into a garage door with "torsion" springs - I call one of them!
Knowledge and experience! :)
It costs more money - but, I like everybody's fingers and other "extremities"
intact. :)

rossfingal

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
We installed one two summers ago from HD. It was a small door. It had some new fangled torsion spring set up where we tightened it with a drill. It seemed very DIY friendly as it removed that issue from the install. Still took a little trial and error but we got it.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for your advice. Good tip on the torsion vs extension type springs. I didnt know that. Giveaway doors on craigslist?? Cool.

Well, first, I guess I need to confirm that all doors are a "standard" size, right?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have installed a couple - and while not overly difficult they take some time and effort to get right - and there is the safety factor. The garage door places do them all the time and can install quick and right - and pretty cheap. The last few I have needed I have just hired out - quick, easy, and reliable operation.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Measure the opening, inside to inside: if it's close to 9 ft. (it will probably
be slightly under) - it's a 9 ft. door - standard.
Read the instructions - take your time!

rossfingal

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just got off the phone with HD. They have them, just out of stock. Looks like Im going there maybe late week, and buy one. Yes, I will measure to the mm first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Like anything else, it's doable if you have the right tools- the most important one being common sense. It is not that difficult a process, even w/ torsion springs but don't just "have at it" without getting an idea of how to tackle the job and in what order. If you're going to do this, definitely post here before you start.

And I know it's just my opinion, but the HD here sells Clopay, and I wouldn't take one for free.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I installed one, I think it was 1976. I was 16 or 17 years old. Door and opener. The paint keeps coming off the door, but to this day, you can bearly hear it as it goes up and down. It was an extension spring style. Was not hard at all. One thing to check is if there are any beams or obstructions in your garage that may interfere with some doors as it opens.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I'm adding to this old thread because I just learned about a system called aSIMPLE-SET TORSION SPRING SYSTEM that looks easier and safer than the extension springs. Any opinions? Do these make the job safer for DIY?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Back in the 70s one of the springs broke on my parents garage door. I bought a set of replacement springs and set about installing them. The only info I was able to get for the operation was that I would most likely get killed trying to do it. I was so put off by the specter of a violent death while winding the springs that I ended up not doing it that way. Some friends helped me raise the door by hand to the point where the cable pin at the bottom panel was at its closest to the cable drum and secure it there with a 2X4. I then tightly wound up the cable around the drum nice and neat then put one or two turns on the drum and slipped the cable over its post. Repeat for the other side and it worked fine that way. Still in service when they sold the house 20 years later.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
Used to service 12Hx10W doors with torsion springs. We'd lift the doors with come alongs and c-clamp the tracks to keep the doors up until the springs were wound. Once saw a guy get his jaw broken in two places when a spud bar slipped while winding a spring. Not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I work in healthcare and know of a guy who lost an eye in the past year when one of the extension springs got loose and struck him. I had a similar near miss the last time I tried to repair my garage door. That is why I am interested in the Simple Set system. That door has been in disrepair for several years now, I have just been using the other door.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I avoid garage door installations----however, I did do two of those recently for a neighbor---

Simple and safe----the spring is wound using a drill with a socket to twist the spring---

No flying wrenches, because none are used--------

1 - 20 of 31 Posts