DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am limping an older townhouse HVAC that probably should have been replaced several years ago :). I am a young first time home owner and just figuring things out as I go, what's better than DIY :). Anyhow, I was wondering what kinds of insulation I can put in my evaporator cabinet (the one with that A shaped cooling thing). I noticed the insulation in this cabinet was looking bad when I was doing some looking around after heater stopped working this past cold winter. Sure enough, as I fired up the air conditioner for the first time this year I had a leak where it looks like the tray might have rusted through, I think I fixed that for now but now trying to identify the best insulation. I saw some say foam board others mention felt but I went to the hardware store and couldn't find one labeled evaporator cabinet insulation :). Figured I might want to ask about this one before I put something harmful to my family or the furnace inside :).

I wanted to remove the evaporator A Coil and check the cabinet out but that looks a bit past my expertise at this point. Any ideas how much a good professional furnace cleaning/inspection would cost? I had one quote for replacement for 8k WOW! which scared me enough to see if I can limp a few more years out of this one :).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.