DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Evaporative Master Cool Electrical problems

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  surferdude2 
#1 ·
my evaporative cooler stopped working last summer ,An Evaporative cooler tech told me the thermostat was bad and also needed a new wire from the thermostat to the panel on the roof to the tune of $380 which I did not have , so he did something on the unit panel and left. Now I have to go outside to the breaker box and turn the eval cooler on and off each day by flipping the breaker switch .
Your help is much appreciated .
jj

#6 ·
data cable or T stat wire is being used from the thermostat to the evap cooler panel , is that the standard
It's probably too late for this to be of use but here it is anyway. If your low voltage system is 24V (and it almost certainly is) you'll need Class 3 cable. It will also need to be riser or plenum rated, so CL3R or CL3P need to appear on the cable.

I noticed the thermostat wire on the Master cool unit was deteriorated so I spliced in new thermostat wire ,the old thermostat still did not work
Did you undo the configuration changes which were done to make the system run without the thermostat?

I was told that its not as simple as replacing the thermostat because the master and thermostat are specific for the unit due to the circuitry ?
If you do have a low voltage thermostat system then any thermostat with a two stage cooling call should be able to be used with a little work. Photos of connections and model numbers of what you have would be immensely helpful to those trying to assist. Right now there's no information to go on.

#5 ·
I noticed the thermostat wire on the Master cool unit was deteriorated so I spliced in new thermostat wire ,the old thermostat still did not work , I was told that its not as simple as replacing the thermostat because the master and thermostat are specific for the unit due to the circuitry ?

#10 ·
If you like, you could use a line voltage thermostat for the master switch and a toggle switch for the pump. I can appreciate the functionality of that system but it does seem to be a bit much for a swamp cooler. JMHO

#13 ·
This is the current configuration ( bypassing the thermostat) and thats why I have to turn the unit on and off at the breaker panel , the thermostat/evap cooler is over 15 ears old ,I`m certatin the thermostat is bad Currently CONNECTED on the control panel are as follows : pump-orange, motor orange and pump -black/yellow .
NOT connected : pump/white , Line 1/black , motor/white , Neutral or Line to white pump / black .
Again this is not the original configuration, this was the repair techs work around the thermostat , I don`t use 2 pumps so disregard the 2nd pump connection. My goal is to put it back to the original configuration which is why I need your help , there are no pics of original configuration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.