DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a swamp cooler, it's the only cooling system for our house in the southwest. I have no idea how old it is as we bought a foreclosed home from a bank. It is a down draft roof mount, not sure of the CFMs as the labels have all faded or fallen off, but the pump is rated at 8500. The water coming off the distribution tube seems to overspray past the pads. This is causing the water to get sucked into the housing around the blower wheel, so the pan under that has water in it, and the frame for the blower wheel is rusted, as well as the blower wheel and there was sediment all over the motor (I have since added a filter, diode and tablets to combat my hard water). This is in turn causing massive amounts of rust throughout the box plus water draining onto my roof through weep holes. I have made sure the tube is free from build up, I cleaned the sediment build up on the metal piece above the tube, the pads are new. So, I have a few questions. What could be causing the water to spray like that? How do I fix it? At what point does the rust in a swamp cooler warrant replacing the whole unit? As a side note, I did place felt on top of the pads in an effort to have the water more evenly distributed and that seemed to help for about two weeks, but today it was back to it's old tricks.

·
Registered
14,623 Posts
It seems as there is too much water pressure or directed at a incorrect angle. IDK what the 8500 pump rating is but try restricting the pump discharge. IIR those take very little water to do their thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about dropping down to a 7500 cfm pump in case that was the cause. I don't think I can go lower than that as my square footage technically needs 7800 cfms. Is there a way to restrict the flow without buying a new pump?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Also, I went up there and adjusted the pads and my felt and the spraying on the motor side stopped. It seems like the motor turning the blower wheel on jolts the whole box causing my pads and other diy solutions to come out of alignment after a few weeks. Also, I checked the positioning of the tube and it only offers one position, no way to adjust it.

·
Registered
14,623 Posts
Yes, to restrict the amount of water an orifice is installed in the discharge line at the pump so all the evaporator pads will have an equal water supply. This orifice will most likely need to be self engineered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.