DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a dumb question but I am replacing the swamp cooler on my Moms home. Her friend gave her a new one with a 20" vent but the problem is that her old one was an 18" vent. I am totally lost on how to convert this efficiently or if it can be done? I have very limited construction experience, I am just trying to save her some money. Does anyone make a conversion kit? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Not knowing the exact situation, I'll take a shot in the dark and say you can improvise a duct reducer using some medium weight flashing metal bent into the configuration of angle stock. Allow the flange side to be wide enough to screw onto the swamp cooler housing and provide enough connector flange to engage the existing duct. Cut and bend the corners to size that accordingly. Screw it onto the cooler and the existing duct and apply butyl rubber calk to make it water tight. RTV is OK if you can't get butyl rubber.

A sheet metal shop could make this for you and it would look better. lol

If instead you have a bottom discharge unit, you can likely just set it down on the raised duct and forget the above method.

Swamp coolers aren't all that particular about a little duct reduction.

Reactions: butler33

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It's not a first class fix but it's something you or any handyman can pull off with some tin snips and common hand tools without having to spend big bucks to do it professionally.

If the new blower delivers too much air for your mom's liking, check the motor to see if it has an adjustable sheave... that can be set for lower speed operation if need be.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.