DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And why my body voltage increases from 0.8V to 2V when I put my hands on the Mat? Is that how it's supposed to work?

Note that my ground is working properly and if I touch it directly my Voltage drops to 0

·
Registered
317 Posts
Voltage to what? What two points are you measuring?

ESD mats and wrist straps normally connect to the device you are working on. It ensures that you and the device are at the same potential. The ground system and the earth are not magic "consumers" of voltage.

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
The discharge mat is not after that voltage you are reading but trying to prevent an electrostatic discharge from you to the equipment, specifically any circuits you touch inside. The metal chassis of that equipment should already be connected to ground and they make ground only power cords so that connection can be maintained without applying power. If you are working on circuit boards outside of that chassis, say on the bench, then the mat can be connected to the center screw on the outlet.

In addition, I liked to use anti-static sprays everywhere in my shop to reduce the possibility for electrostatic build up.

Bud

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
Connecting to the ground pin of a receptacle is fine, but so easily kicked out by accident. The faceplate retaining screw is better unless this is to be a portable ESD station.

The ground system and the earth are not magic "consumers" of voltage.
But they are the best voltage reference we have. If two objects are both at earth potential they will not be at any potential to each other.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, let me ask a question, I'm testing my body voltage which is 0.8V approx. but when I touch the mat it jumps to 1.5V approx. , and when I touch the ground directly it goes to 0

Isn't supposed to go down when I touch the mat?

Any idea? Anyone?

Connecting to the ground pin of a receptacle is fine, but so easily kicked out by accident. The faceplate retaining screw is better unless this is to be a portable ESD station.

But they are the best voltage reference we have. If two objects are both at earth potential they will not be at any potential to each other.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm holding the multimeter proble in one hand while on AC switch, the other probe on ground pin, then i touch the mat with the other hand, I'm not electrical I just saw this on youtube :D

How are you making this measurement?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts