DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old NG generator. There was a yellow light on, and the control panel says "overcrank alarm stopped". I googled and it seemed to be a significant problem.
I called the company that does my maintenance and they said that the yellow light comes on every year to show that maintenance is necessary. He told me to turn the switch to manual. It started up on the second crank. Now the green light is on and the message is gone.

He says it is fine; it is simply time for my yearly maintenance.
1) Is that true? I have read that the error message meant it tried to come on but couldn't.
2) The manual says it need maintenance every 2 years (or after heavy use). Is one year better?

Thanks.

·
Naildriver
10,658 Posts
I've not heard of error messages pertaining to maintenance scheduling totally disabling a machine. Maybe an obnoxious light flashing, but not disabling. Now if there is somethng wrong, sure, shut it down.

Remember the TV or the refrigerator or dishwasher that died 3 days after the warranty expired? Certain things are built in such as predated obsolescence. But in your case, if it is working now, then they must have given you the right answer.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
It means that your generator failed to start.

Generac uses multiple start attempts. The ones I have worked with are 16 seconds followed by 7 seconds rest. The 5 cycles of 7 seconds cranking, each followed by 7 seconds rest. If your generator runs thru the whole series, you get the alarm.

The alarm clearing procedure used to be turning the auto/off/manual switch to off, then pressing enter. You can double check that in your manual. After clearing, placing the switch in auto should then restore normal operation.

You can then watch the unit and see if the problem re-occurs. If it does, a service is a good idea.

If the message shows up once a year to indicate service like the tech said, How come you haven't seen it before now ?

·
Super Moderator
20,965 Posts
Your generator did not start. You even had a problem in manual mode. It took two tries to start.
You need to find out why. The last thing you want is a no start when it counts.
I don't believe the light is for scheduled yearly maintenance but it does need service.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your generator did not start. You even had a problem in manual mode. It took two tries to start.
You need to find out why. The last thing you want is a no start when it counts.
I don't believe the light is for scheduled yearly maintenance but it does need service.
The generator has never started on the first try. It usually starts on the second try. They claim that is usual.

·
Super Moderator
20,965 Posts
The generator has never started on the first try. It usually starts on the second try. They claim that is usual.
I don't own a generac or work on them so I won't dispute whoever 'they' are. But normal combustion engines start on the first try unless there is an issue.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
I am getting a bad feeling about "They".
If you have another service company in the area, you might want to try talking with them.

While occasionally going into a second crank cycle isn't horrible, doing it on every start regardless of temp and weather conditions is not normal.

Your other avenue is to e-mail Generac explaining the two issues and what you were told. Ask them to confirm the answers.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
QUOTE - [The generator has never started on the first try. It usually starts on the second try. They claim that is usual.]

WTF !

Maybe normal for Generacs !
But better generators do !

:vs_karate:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After checking out the ziller forum I see that yellow flashing light can be a maintenance alert.
But over crank is not a maintenance issue. It is a fault.

http://www.zillerstore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=137&d=1271262020
The yellow light is not flashing; it is solid.
An overcrank fault should be a red light. The first mystery is why it is yellow.

I looked on the log and it happened when we had power, so the generator should not have cranked.

I have sent this question to Generac and applied to post at Ziller.

·
Master Electrician
4,605 Posts
The yellow light is not flashing; it is solid.
An overcrank fault should be a red light. The first mystery is why it is yellow.

I looked on the log and it happened when we had power, so the generator should not have cranked.

I have sent this question to Generac and applied to post at Ziller.
It will still crank for the exercise cycle with utility power still active.

·
Super Moderator
39,514 Posts
Failed to start during a test/exercise period.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts