DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had poured concrete done 4 months ago and did not apply sealer. The garage is heated and now would like to put epoxy on. It's 500 sq feet and estimates for professionals coming in around $2500.

I'm thinking of doing myself and if I hate it, could always hire someone to come back later. Based on research, Rustoleum seems to make a decent product called Rock Solid and also Epoxy Shield. Sounds like Rock Solid is probably easier to apply and lasts longer.

The question I have around is prep. In the kit, they have etching which would be great to just doing that and move on. Also, I'd like to put the Rock Solid on the block along the bottom of the floor (up about 6 inches). Do I also need to do any concrete diamond grinding or just etching good enough? See pics and please share your thoughts on products and techniques.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Like all floor coatings the final product is only as good as the initial prep.

Clean with oil/grease emulsifier, pressure wash rinse and let dry at least 48 hours. Floor needs to be grinded and feel like medium grit paper when done. Optional but highly recommend using a penetrating sealer like Corotech V155 or 156. Epoxy with V400 or V440. Optional top coat urethane V500 or V540, optional paint flecks. Both epoxy products come any color you want.

V155, V400 + V500 is suitable for heavy industrial use.
V156, V440 + V540 waterborne is suitable for light industrial and benefits include soap/water cleanup and not dealing with hot solvents (xylene, toluene etc).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts