DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I can’t believe someone isn’t posting that has some experience with doors with sidelights. I have lived with a door with two sidelights, for 32 years and haven’t an ounce of problem with sagging, or someone breaking in. I have actually had two doors with double sidelights over the last 32 years. The first 20 years I had a steel door that started to rust on the bottom and for the last 12 years, I’ve had a fiberglass door and nether has sagged. As for security, the latch I have, is a three point latch that takes two hands to unlock and open. I’m not saying some couldn’t break in, from the outside, by breaking the sidelight, but it’s not easy figuring out the combination, to open the door from the inside.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Nothing stops them from sagging. But if you know as an installer that it's going to do it, you shim the door up at the hinge side mullion little to jack the reveal on top up a little to account for future sagging. Because every door with a sidelight (or fixed panel) i have ever seen does it to some extent. Some better doors will have adjustable hinges to help adjust for some future movement.
I can’t say that’s been my experience. Could be the quality of door you are working with.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts