DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the correct way to configure an entry door with sidelite? Want the best method due to wind/hurricane issues.

Opening is 48" x 80". Door will be 36" wide with a 12" sidelite.

Should the door lockset be next to the sidelite with door hinges in the frame? Or, the lockset in the frame and hinges in the sidelite?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
If you're not concerned about someone breaking the sidelite to unlock the door, the sidelite can go on either side, but if you are, the sidelite should be on the hinge side.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
That is a concern. If possible I'll see if the glass can be impact rated.
There's also glass reinforced with steel wire mesh that should be fairly effective, but it doesn't often go with the look most people want, unless you can camouflage it with stained glass or something.

If you're concerned, but not particular about which side the glass is on, you can just put the sidelite on the hinge side, so breaking the glass doesn't provide access to the lock.

·
retired framer
63,576 Posts
I have never seen hinges on the window side unless it has window on both sides.
If some one wants in the glass by the door just means they do less damage getting in.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excluding jerks that want in your home, is the door more secure from wind by having the sidelite on the hinge side or lockset side?

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,388 Posts
Reactions: Nealtw

·
retired framer
63,576 Posts
Wouldn't it be that same if you had a 36" door and no sidelite?
I a hall way yes but in an entrance we like to put the hinges 3" from the corner so the door opens tight to wall out of the way. But it depends on the house lay out inside too.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
If you're not concerned about someone breaking the sidelite to unlock the door, the sidelite can go on either side, but if you are, the sidelite should be on the hinge side.
or just break the glass on the main door. Anyone can break pretty much break into anything. Unless you have security bars or shutters.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Doors with the hinge on the sidelights side will almost always sag. There isn't enough structure to keep the door from sagging.
If I paid 1700 bucks for that door rjniles linked to, and it sagged, I'd be pretty pissed. Properly manufactured or built door frames won't sag. Sure, if you try to build one with just a 1x4 between the hinges and the glass, you're going to have a problem, but if it's built right, you won't.

·
retired framer
63,576 Posts
And yet there are units with side lights on both sides, what stops those from sagging? With one side light normal is latch against the glass.
I think the jam is designed with the weight of the door in mind. I saw one where the people just changed the slab to a solid oak door. That I think is the only time i saw it. but is I had a choice I would not hinge that side.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Nothing stops them from sagging. But if you know as an installer that it's going to do it, you shim the door up at the hinge side mullion little to jack the reveal on top up a little to account for future sagging. Because every door with a sidelight (or fixed panel) i have ever seen does it to some extent. Some better doors will have adjustable hinges to help adjust for some future movement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts