DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some clarification on the light switches i need before i go ahead and buy all the switches for our new house build. Hopefully someone can help out.

So, we're talking about the light switching in the entrance and hallway which is all one space that is a medium sized entrance with an L shaped hallway. Here is what i want...

Entrance: double switch to control entrance and hallway
Halfway down the hallway: double switch to control hallway and entrance
far end of hallway: single switch just for the hallway

I'm confused about whether i need an intermediate switch or not. The switches i want don't have a 2 way version that is intermediate.

Can anyone advise on all this?


· electrician
326 Posts
I've never seen a 3 way, only 2 way and intermediate

I don't know if you are in the US or not, but I am and I've never heard of a 2-way or an intermediate?

The switches that we would use in a residential setting would be a SPST, a 3-way (SPDT) or a 4-way (DPDT)

Entrance: 2, 3-ways

Halfway: 1, 3-way for entrance and 1,4-way for hall

Far End: 1, 3-way for hall
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.