DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first house which was built in 1984 last year and this year my disabled mother was visiting and happened to lean on the toilet in such a way that she was pressing on the tank towards the wall...the whole front of the toilet lifted up. I went to check the one in the other room and gently pressed the tank towards the wall and sure enough it lifted up too!! I had the plumber come out from the warranty company but they said that they couldn't replace the wax ring because it wasn't leaking and that i'd know if it was leaking when i saw a wet spot on the ceiling downstairs...does it really have to come to that?
I also read that the seal could be compromised without a leak and that roaches can come up through there...I have had large unexplained roaches several times...
Do I have grounds to call the warranty company back and insist that they resend the plumbers out to replace the wax seals instead of just tightening the bolts and adding shims like they did? I would really appreciate any advice

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
if the wax seal is compromised, you'd surely see water in the bathroom, or below. they did exacxtly what most of us here would have done...
tighten bolts and shim to prevent rocking. IF you have any more problems, then i'd call them back. replacing a wax ring is not difficult at all if it comes down to that.

DM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts