DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a couple of times that you are not allowed to run any wires/conduit/etc through the same side of the main panel that the service enters from, in my case it's the top of my main panel.

I've searched through the 2012 canadian electrical code and can't find any mention of that anywhere.

Could someone point me to the sections of Canadian/Ontario relevant code(s) and or NEC?

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
I can't find the code section but it is not part of the NEC.
Also there is a divider between the sections so you can't physically run the conductors without cutting it. That would not be an approved modification.

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
I think I found the relevent section

6-306 Consumer’s service raceways
Consumer’s service raceways shall
(a) contain only the consumer’s service conductors, and except where a deviation has been allowed in
accordance with Rule 2-030, only the conductors of one consumer’s service;

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I can't find the code section but it is not part of the NEC.
Also there is a divider between the sections so you can't physically run the conductors without cutting it. That would not be an approved modification.
The divider doesn't extend all the way to the back of the panel, there's room to run cables behind it. I can only assume that is the specific reason for the space behind it.
There's also room to the side of it as well which would allow cables to be run from the top to the bottom without issue.

I think I found the relevent section
I don't think that's referring to adding a conduit/feeders for a sub panel on the same side of the panel that the main service enters.

My interpretation of that section is that you can't run multiple services through the same conduit, and only one consumers service can run through one conduit.

That part is in a section about multiple services to the same residence as in the case of an apartment or multi family dwelling that has multiple meters. Basically saying that you can't use one panel for multiple services either.

Here is the code definition of a raceway:
Raceway — any channel designed for holding wires, cables, or busbars, and, unless otherwise qualified in the
Rules of this Code, the term includes conduit (rigid and flexible, metal and non-metallic), electrical metallic and
non-metallic tubing, underfloor raceways, cellular floors, surface raceways, wireways, cable trays, busways, and
auxiliary gutters.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crap.

No. If the service conductor raceway enters the top of the panelboard, that space where the service conductors terminate to the main service breaker is considered the "service box". Rule 12-3032(1) does not permit branch circuit conductors to pass through the main service switch section of a combination panelboard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.