DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an old retail building in a small town that is on the waterfront. The building is brick that shares the wall with buildings on both sides. I need to basically build a building within a building for structural integrity. I am thinking of doing it with metal framing (I-beam type) and backing it with OSB sheathing against the brick.
Now I will have an engineer look at the building and to develop the plans to have it completed.
I am concerned, because at present, there is a diner on one side, and the building on the other side is empty, without heat or A/C, and until I can get one building rebuilt, I expect it will remain that way.
My concern is that the diner puts out a lot of heat from its kitchen, the other side that will be very cold in the winter, very hot in the summer, and with the building being waterfront just will add to the moisture. I do not want a mold problem to develop between the wood and the brick wall. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
First off there will undoubtedly be an air space, and you wouldn't use osb, you would use a structural sheathing like 5/8" Densglas that has moisture and mold resistance. If you are consulting an engineer or architect for the plan you should have nothing to worry about. They will correct your erroneous ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts