DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Should I float plywood on slab and glue engineered wood planks over plywood?

• Yes, the added rigidity afforded by a monolithic backing will allow this to work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you fool! The manufacturer is trying to warn you but you just aren't listening!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Floating floors belong on the Titanic where they were invented.

• You said you live on the 5th floor. Go to the balcony. Jump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, here's my situation and what I intend to do. I would appreciate any advice or warnings you guys have about what I intend.

We live in a condo on the 5th floor.
Slab on block walls all the way up.
Built in the 70's so this slab should not have a great deal of moisture in it, especially in a dry climate with lots of wind.

The engineered floor we have is 1/2", with a hickory top ply. Good quality, quite stiff but the package says "not for floating floor use". I suspect this is because the manufacturer realizes that floating it can result in some give/deflection and weakening over time of the tongue. Fair enough, but this is where I intend to flout the rules yet again.

We have a requirement in the condo to provide code underlay for soundproofing, which is the MicroBan that I have. I will never glue down anything over Microban. Plus it allows for air movement on BOTH sides of the underlay.

I intend to lay the MicroBan directly on the slab, then float 1/4" ply over that to act as the stiffener for the planks, then glue the planks onto the plywood. They do have a "locking" tongue, which I find strange in a material that isn't supposed to be floated.Essentially I would be floating a monolithically backed 5" x 3/4" t/g plank. The slab is pretty much perfect in terms of level and finish.

Thoughts? My instinct and experience tells me that while not normally done, this will be ok. I think the added rigidity of the planks being glued down onto the extra ply will prevent any flexion stress on the tongues of the planks.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
I am no expert on flooring, but have a few comments:

1) Microban is an underlayment ???? Or you are using an underlayment or pad that has Microban in it? If so, you are not really telling the forum what you plan as the underlayment.

2) It would be just a guess for my opinion on how well your plan would work. I have never done anything like that. I normally find it best to follow the manufacture's installation instructions, and don't recall having seen such as an approved method.

3) If sound control is a concern, note that there are manufacturers of sound control flooring adhesives.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe MicroBan is the trademark name of this 1/8" accoustic foam underlayment. It is a fairly big seller around here for this purpose. I wasn't aware that there were any approved accoustically deadening adhesives, but I
will look for them as that would solve my dilemna right away. I would prefer to glue down anyway. Thanks for the insight SPS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts