DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an uphill house (Bay area, temperatures mostly between 50 and 70) with a room on the lower level (grade) having currently sealed concrete. The room has been dry and we are planning to install engineered wood flooring.

I was told by previous owner that concrete might occasionally get slightly wet during long rains. Vertical spots (there are several in the room, as well as risers for 3 steps) would get tile.

Should I be concerned about using quality engineered flooring in situation like that ? It would be glued on.

Thank you !

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Yes, you need to be concerned. Obviously actual liquid water will damage wood, but so will moisture you can't see. You have to correct and keep water from entering, first of all. Then test the floor for moisture using one of the tests recommended by the wood manufacturer and hope for the best.

So, by uphill, I guess you mean only one wall/foundation is downhill from the slope. Have you investigated to find where/how the water enters?

Jaz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jazman, the house is on the hill with 2 more level located uphill. The water in the very rocky soil can still get through down and saturate grounds around the house. There is some drainage system around the house but some water might still sip in from the hill (I am at 800 ft over sea level but hills go up to 1200-1300).

On a positive side hill goes down from where I am too, so water can not stay for long time.

I see lots of engineered floor makers allowing concrete installation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts