DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
With any kind of touch up lighting, sheen, color and angle are going to play a huge factor, some thing will not pass as a touch up and the whole surface will need to be painted.

What are you trying to touch up?

·
Premium Member
7,894 Posts
My experience (at least on WALLS) is that it is near impossible to touch up any high gloss enamel. Best just to bite the bullet and repaint the whole area. Find a corner you can stop at and you may only have to repaint one wall. As Workaholic said, many factors go into making a touch up blend in with the rest of the wall.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sean, I have a feeling that OP, who I believe is now gone, is talking about baked enamel, like appliance touch-up. Good to see you over here in the cheap seats.
J, I thought about that but thought maybe we were talking about trim paint. If it is an appliance or any other baked on enamel not much in my experience will blend in very well but a discoloration can be more appealing than an ugly scratch.

Thanks J, I have not been on this site in awhile. :thumbsup:

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
J, I thought about that but thought maybe we were talking about trim paint. If it is an appliance or any other baked on enamel not much in my experience will blend in very well but a discoloration can be more appealing than an ugly scratch.

Thanks J, I have not been on this site in awhile. :thumbsup:[/quote

You have not missed much:no:

·
2,392 Posts

Thanks J, I have not been on this site in awhile. :thumbsup:[/quote

You have not missed much:no:
There is a distinct difference between the R rated, hysterical atmosphere of the pro sites versus the G rated DIY forum. I guess it would be like going from working in an actual paint shop, where everyone get's their share of b-busting, to working in a paint store. However, I find it more rewarding to help the unknowing find their way.
Sometimes though Sean, the touch up will draw more attention than what is being touched up.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sometimes though Sean, the touch up will draw more attention than what is being touched up.
This is true as well, I had a scratch on a fridge that occurred from it being moved in through a door and touched it up and for the first year the touch up bothered me more than the scratch itself.

As far as the pro sites versus the diy sites they just have a different feel to them, on the pro sites you have a lot more banter and a wide range of egos, I love the pro sites but I also enjoy the diy sites too a lot of people are not going to pay for a professional so if your advice is taken and satisfactory results are achieved then it is rewarding in that manner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts