DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. This is my first post. Im looking for some knowledge, as well as somewhere to be able to ask questions, and get some professional, or semi professional answers. Hopefully someone can help me.

First things, first. The tile in question was installed while the house was being built. 6 x 24 Emser Strands Olive. Is the tile. I picked it, myself at the design center. The problem Im having with it, is, that its surface scratched pretty badly, in many places. Im not sure what the square footage of tile works out, to. I would venture to say somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-600 Sq Ft. I have 3 bathrooms, the kitchen, and a 20 foot entry hallway with the tile installed. The problem is, the builder had the tile laid about 5-6 weeks before the house was completed. And, to me, the tile looks really rough in most high traffic areas. My question is, can I get some of these scratches removed, in the tile, without having the tile replaced?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was afraid of. Most of the floor, in the high traffic areas, is like that. I have extra tile. They actually over ordered for the house, and I talked the superintendent into letting me keep it. I have 16 boxes or about 155 sq ft worth. I was told by Emser that the 6x24 in the polished is getting discontinued. So, he let me keep the rest. But since the house is 2 months old, Im going to have them do it. Thick paper was laid down, after the tile was laid, and as I recall, it lasted about 3 days before it was ripped to shreds. The tile people that came out to lay it, have already been out here, to look at it. There is also some grout haze they need to remove in spots.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,654 Posts
Thats what I was afraid of. Most of the floor, in the high traffic areas, is like that. I have extra tile. They actually over ordered for the house, and I talked the superintendent into letting me keep it. I have 16 boxes or about 155 sq ft worth. I was told by Emser that the 6x24 in the polished is getting discontinued. So, he let me keep the rest. But since the house is 2 months old, Im going to have them do it. Thick paper was laid down, after the tile was laid, and as I recall, it lasted about 3 days before it was ripped to shreds. The tile people that came out to lay it, have already been out here, to look at it. There is also some grout haze they need to remove in spots.
Ouch...... Looks very nice, and I hope that scratching was abnormal construction use and not an inherent issue with the tile. Wonder if that might be why Emser is discontinueing it...?????

I assume it is a porceline... I've never seen that problem with good porceline. Is that tile textured/grained....????

Good luck.... Your place looks great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, its not textured or grained. The tile, is like a sheet of glass, out of the box, and its definitely due to it getting walked on, after it was installed. I was talking to the customer service rep, today, for the builder, and I sent him more pictures of the tile install. Here are some after shots of what the tile looked like a week after install (5 days) They clearly should have sponged it down better. And then more pictures of it, after its just been mopped and cleaned by the builder. I have a huge streaking issue, when the floors get wet, they look like this puddled look. All of these pictures, were taken before I accepted the keys. And obviously, you can tell by the air compressor, and air nailer, that little effort was given in paying attention to the flooring after install.

Attachments

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,654 Posts
Ah Geeze..... Sorry...

This might be an opportunity though..... to get a new tile job.

While it looks nice in the showroom, it may be a maintenance/cleaning issue in practice and in the future. That high polish, may show every piece of dirt /water mark / scuff etc., and dangerously slippery also.

My wife and I made a mistake on about 750 feet of tile , throughout our kitchen / sunroom / entry. We did not know enough about considerations in tile.

We got a great relief in 20" sq tile in the exact colors (beiges and grays) we needed. And while it had great relief it was highly textured, which we thought would be good for non-slippery especially in those areas.

Everybody loved it.... but you could not clean it. (Sort of luckily, in its colors and relief, guests did not know how dirty it was.... but unfortunately, my wife did...:wink2:

I had to get a hot water sort of steamer vacume, mop the floor with a degreaser solution using a deck cleaning brush vigorously, and then mop it up with the vacume, and in winter put fans on it. It honestly took 2-3 hours.

Point being, you may want to reconsider and have a chance to re chooze a tile.

Good luck....

EDIT... Oh forgot.... it was one biotch trying to de-haze... no even get the grout off... never did get it all even after tooth brushes and acid... but again luckily, we had choozen a matching grout and when dry, you never noticed the grout and haze.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just finally got an answer back from the builder, a few days ago. They're not going to do anything about it. Not replace it, not polish it, not refund my money for the flooring. Nothing. So, I'm on my own with scratched floors. And I'll actually probably be calling one of our attorneys at work, to see what he's got to say.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,654 Posts
Thanks on the update.... not everyone is so curteous...:smile:

Good luck......

Hopefully small claims is available to you......

(Keep a record o everything)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! I will. I have a collection of all of the pictures from when the house was being built, and I'm trying to get the summary of the findings when they sent the manufacturer out here to determine the cause of the issue. I will try to remember to update the thread as new information becomes available. My ultimate goal is to get the tile replaced. It's a mess, in my eyes. Even though I get compliments on it, every time someone sees it.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,654 Posts
I would try some things on the scratches to make them less visible. Start with a liquid floor wax applied with a small artist's brush.
Lime... You seem reasonable, but it is inherent in all of us to see errors in our own work that no one else ever notices.... hard to tell from the pics, which might be scratches and what is just normal trafic dirt.....but your flooring does look nice.

But if it is material and and not likely to be normal wear/tear, I'd take the contractor to task.... you do have a right to an undamaged floor.... that's why we charge you for kraft paper to protect your floor while we work.

Good luck....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts