DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

My daughter's bathroom needs some updates, but I want to keep it simple
Ex: the bathtub would need to be replaced, but I will go with a re-glazing since the surrounding walls were tiled not too long ago...and I don't want to go thru a total remodel
So my question is about the flooring: it is right now some mosaic tiles (see pictures), in very good shape (installed on mortar bed + lathe)
I want to use some water proof vinyl flooring (plank or tile) on top of it, but I think I need to apply some kind of leveler to fill the recessed grout lines, right? (embossing leveler)
Which one should I get, and how is it applied? Do I need a primer first?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
For grout lines that small you shouldn't have to re-flatten the area. Even large curves wouldn't matter. Vinyl will bend itself over it. I used cheap, thin vinyl floating over the old linoleum and some of it under the toekick space was cut away for curling and such. Panel over them without the filler. After a few years, the gap isn't showing. Use luxury vinyl if possible. Lvt's are made all vinyl (check the composition materials) and truely water proof. Scouring the tiles and back buttering the tiles with tile glue would be even better. I would worry about how the panels would work around toilet drain flange. There I would use glue and caulk to make sure any leak would not drain under the panels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.