DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Reebok RL 900 Elliptical. Everything on the machine works fine except the fan. When the machine is plugged in (no power switch), the console fires up along with the fan (double fans, side by side at the top of the console).

There is a button at the top center of the fans that is supposed to control the fan motor on/off. However, although button presses produce an audible "beep" as expected, the fan motors do not respond in any way. They remain on in full power as when the unit powered on.

When the unit goes into standby mode (after about 10 minutes of inactivity), the fan does not stop. When the machine is brought out of standby mode, the fan power dips for a half second (presumably by voltage drop for the main console), then resumes full power.

The console board has a "Fan In" connection (2 wires running from the switch at the top center down to the circuit board, soldered direct to the board) and a "Fan Out" connector which is shown in the pic below as a red plug-in connector to a socket marked "Fan Out" on the circuit board.

I have pressed on this connector to insure its seated fully, but it has no effect on the fan operation.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
There might be a relay on the board that controls the power to the fan. If not, then it is probably controlled by a solid state component, like that IC soldered to the board next to the connector.

You'll need to trace the board wiring from the connector and see where it leads to. That will tell you what to suspect next.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,700 Posts
Assuming you have no warranty since you're wanting to troubleshoot on your own;

Panel mount an "on-off" switch or mechanical timer switch to the fan so it shuts off eventually...

Or, get a heavy duty timer and plug the elliptical into it - set it for the length of your workout before you get on...

Or, start buying new circuit boards...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Fan relay contacts have probably welded together. Motor are very inductive loads so the contacts ARC when the contacts open. This can lead to deformations which ultimately cause them to weld together.

Look for the fan on the logic board and give it a sharp tap with butt end of a screwdriver. That might knock the contacts loose. Ultimately a new relay is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help. I sold the elliptical today and the owner was OK with the fan situation. I was hoping to fix it before selling the unit, but I had to discount the unit to account for it. No worries though. Thanks for the quick help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts