DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until recently, all of our remote control devices could activate this gate opener from a distance of over 30 feet. Suddenly, the range is almost zero for all of the remotes. You literally have to stand right next to it.

One parts salesperson suggested that I just need to replace the radio receiver card/circuit board because it must be failing. I can purchase a replacement for under $50, but am interested in opinions about whether this is likely to be the source of, and solution to, the problem.

·
Exterior Construction
27,305 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If it works at all (because you are standing right next to it) it must be "functioning".

However, such devices DO have an antenna (to receive the "signal"), even if this is just 150 mm (6 inches) of wire hanging off somewhere !

Has this "antenna" broken off?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I got sent to see why a newly installed gate opener wasn't working. Let's see; the actual opener works, the long-range receiver has power and it works; at least until I close the door on the metal cabinet the receiver is mounted in. :surprise:

Their first install using a metal cabinet and nobody considered the RF shielding of the cabinet. An external antenna kit solved the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts