DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have lived here for about 5 months and the gate operator has given us very little trouble....until last week. One day, it opened the gate about a foot, and then it just quit. After waiting a few minutes, and then pressing the remote several times, it finally closed, and then it was fine, for about another week. Then, it did the same thing, only this time, there was no getting it to start working again.

Of course, this was on a morning that I needed to be to work early, and I was stuck in my driveway! I finally figured how to disconnect the arm from the gate.....now we've had two "snow days"(I mean that with a grain of salt....it IS Texas), but I appreciate the automatic aspect of the gate operator more than ever.

Question is, how can I diagnose it? I've tried getting someone to come out and repair and most of them say that they can't get parts for it, or suggest replacing it with a brand new $1500 device. I'd rather not spend the $12-1500 until I know what's wrong with this one.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose? I know that the remote is good, and know that the fuses are good. After that, there's just not much info out there!

Any help would be appreciated!
Keith

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thanks! I have checked everything in their manual. Not much there. I'm looking for how to check which component has gone bad. I think I can order the parts online.....but which one do I need?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sounds like the motor might be overloaded due to the opener being undersized for the weight of the gate, or due to mechanical parts binding, and the thermal overload is tripping, and then resetting when it cools off.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Next time it cutts out, check the temp of the motor ? Does it feel too hot ?
Replacing the thermal cut out is not always easy.
If it is genuinly faulty could mean a new motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts