DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the wires in my basement touch the heating and air conditioning tubes that run in between the joists, the contractor has put insullation to separate them, so that they don't come in contact with the vent.

Do I leave it like that when I put the drywall up in the ceiling?
Or do I have to do something?

thanks

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Sammy.

It looks like pieces were put there by the contractor so that the wires don't touch the vents where the heat or air cond. flows through.

I was just wondering if I just leave them the way they are and just drywall as usual or if I need to do something else.

Thanks for you response.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I would imagine they were put there to reduce vibrating on the duct work and causing a noise when the fan is on.

I would leave them in place.

·
Home Improvement Guy
351 Posts
The insulation is there to protect the wire from heat and vibration which could eventually wear off the wire's sheathing and electrify the duct work. Sounds hard to believe but I guess it's possible. It's cheap insurance and peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The insulation is there to protect the wire from heat and vibration which could eventually wear off the wire's sheathing and electrify the duct work. Sounds hard to believe but I guess it's possible. It's cheap insurance and peace of mind.
Thanks Ron.
I will leave it there.
I think it was a code thing that the contractor had to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts