DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help i need to run an underground wire for a distance 2262 feet does anyone know what size wire i need to use i need 200 AMPS SERVICE ENTRANCE MAX LOAD WILL BE 170 AMPS RUNNING LOAD CONSTANT 28HP 220 MOTOR

·
Registered
10,729 Posts
You don't run 170 amps of 240v nearly 1/2 a mile. You would be talking extremely large conductors and multiple conductors per phase to limit voltage drop.

You need a different solution. A new service close to the location, a step-up and step down transformer solution, diesel power generator, diesel mechanical power in place of the electric motor, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for you quick reply you are right just got a quote just for the wire 28,000 $ plus transformers step up and step down and the excavator the cost would be prohibitive

thank you

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
help i need to run an underground wire for a distance 2262 feet does anyone know what size wire i need to use i need 200 AMPS SERVICE ENTRANCE MAX LOAD WILL BE 170 AMPS RUNNING LOAD CONSTANT 28HP 220 MOTOR
This is not even remotely a DIY job. Please call someone who knows what they are doing to do this job correctly and safely.

You have a 28HP single-phase motor? I didn't know they existed? What's it running?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sory its 2 x10 hp 1 x8 hp draws 94 amps my 2 gen are 100 amps each my tractors at 2200 rpm 4500$ of fuel for 21 days the 2 generators are 30 kv i found out today going arial would cost min 110,000$ here the electricity is .0778 kwh 28 hp roughly 28 kwh 2.17 hour electricity would cost 790+ taxes =927$ fuel here is 5,31 a gallon cost 10,62 compared to electricity over 21 days you are right those 2 tractors 78,000 each the generators 5,000 each i think going with utilities pay for it self in a couople years sell the tractors keep one gen we have a 45 hp john deer could run the ge in a jam thank you all for your input much apreciated

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
The only way to effectively do this is to bring the primary (high voltage) service MUCH closer to the point of use. Even step up/step down setup is much more expensive and over complicated.

Why so far? Is this like a several hundred acre facility? Is that whole distance your property?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.